19

©️ @jjulia_28

~

With Ritsuka succumbing to the call of sleep, they decided to ditch the fireworks display and head home instead. In silence, they made their way towards the parking lot. Rintarou gently settled his sister in the backseat, surrounding her with pillows and a fox-patterned neck pillow for comfort. 

Etsuko took her place in the front seat, releasing a sigh as she settled in. 

"I'm going to smoke for a bit," Rintarou announced, retrieving a box of cigarettes from the compartment. 

Etsuko intercepted his hand. "I thought you had quit?" 

"I'm in a shitty mood right now. Let go," Rintarou retorted. 

"Why are you so angry?"

"I'm not angry. Now, let go." he replied, his tone flat and devoid of emotion.

"You're angry, Rin."

"I told you, I'm not-"

Etsuko insisted, her voice tinged with worry. "Is it about the man from earlier?"

Rintarou's gaze darkened, his eyes reflecting a mix of anger and hurt. Ah, here we go again, another lengthy argument. 

"So it was him. Why are you so bothered?" Etsuko pressed, her voice filled with empathy.

"I'm not," he replied, his tone flat.

"You are," she countered, trying to convince him. "Why? Because he assumed you and I are a couple?" she queried. 

If only you knew how much I long to be with you. How much I yearn for you. Rintarou silenced these thoughts, steadying his breath and closing his eyes. It was not the time for such fantasies. 

"Do you despise me that much?" Etsuko whispered, her voice trembling slightly. 

"That's not it! Damn it," Rintarou exploded, frustrated by the constant misinterpretations. 

Ritsuka stirred, nearly roused by the commotion. Etsuko let go of Rintarou's hand and gently patted Ritsuka's thigh, coaxing her back to sleep. Seizing the opportunity, Rintarou stormed out of the car to smoke. 

Once Ritsuka was asleep again, Etsuko returned to her seat, biting her thumb in annoyance. She knew Rintarou well. She knew what he was capable of when angered. She was all too aware of his physical strength. 

In high school, Rintarou had the most defined abs, followed by Ojiro. She had once asked him how he maintained them despite his laid-back lifestyle. He had attributed it to his upper body strength from blocking. It made sense. Kita, however, had the most aesthetically pleasing abs, with Gin coming in second. 

But Rintarou was also a fragile soul. He may not have shown it, but he cared, sometimes. 

"Ugh," Etsuko groaned, pounding her head against the window in frustration. "Stupid Etsuko, stupid." 

The soft thudding caught Rintarou's attention, and he couldn't help but chuckle at the sight. He wished he could capture the moment on his phone, but he had left it in the car. Shaking his head, he rushed to her side, opening the passenger door just in time to catch her as she nearly tumbled out.

"Have you lost your mind?" he asked, a fond smile gracing his face. 

"...Possibly?" she blinked in response. 

 Just like that, his anger dissipated. How unfair, he thought.

~

They journeyed in silence for a while until Rintarou broke the quietude with a single word, "Why?" His voice was soft, uncertain if he should venture further.