24

cttro

~

"Mother, could you please tell the doctor that I really want to go home?" Etsuko pleaded, her hands clinging to her mother's arms as she stood beside her bed.

"No. If you weren't pregnant, I would spank your head right now. Don't test my patience, Etsuko," her mother replied sternly, clearly losing her temper.

"But I'm not sick," Etsuko shrugged, her voice filled with frustration. "This place is making me though."

Etsuko had been whining to her mother ever since she arrived, and Mrs. Miya was reaching her breaking point. "I've been here a week, mother. I know I'm fine."

"You are not a doctor, Etsuko." Mrs. Miya tilted her head, giving her daughter a look that said, 'If you don't shut your mouth, I'll throw you out.' "Can you just follow what the doctor said?" she retorted, holding onto her last bit of patience.

Etsuko slowly released her grip on her mother's arms, removing her hands. Mrs. Miya tried her best to be strict with her daughter, whom she hadn't seen in five years, but Etsuko's pouting expression melted her heart. "You brat," she sighed, placing her hands on her forehead. "Fine, I'll ask the doctor," she said, rolling her eyes in defeat.

Mrs. Miya left the room, taking her bag with her. "I'm going. Don't do anything stupid while I'm gone. I'll be back in a minute," she warned before heading out.

"I can't promise anything," Etsuko replied with a nervous laugh.

Originally, Etsuko was supposed to attend a meeting today at the event venue she had booked for Kiyoomi's proposal, but things didn't go as planned.

"Why did I have to get hospitalized at this time? This is so frustrating," Etsuko thought to herself, reaching for a pen and notebook on her desk. She started making a new schedule and plans for the remaining four days before the proposal.

The white door swung open, revealing a tall, fox-looking guy. "Heh~ you're already working hard," he said, leaning close to her.

Etsuko didn't bother to look at him, as she had been the one to call Rintarou to drive her home. She was confident that the doctor would let her leave.

"Where's Auntie?" Rintarou asked, placing the car keys on the table.

"Not sure," she shrugged. "Maybe she's settling the bills right now."

Rintarou sat on the chair beside her bed, crossing his arms over his chest. "Has grandma and grandpa called you?" he inquired, referring to Etsuko's paternal grandparents.

After her father's death, her grandparents had been supportive and would occasionally visit when they had the time. They were also the ones who gave Atsumu, Osamu, and Etsuko their names.

"Yes, they called last night. Grandfather said I should stay with them for a couple of months. Fresh air is good for pregnant women apparently." Etsuko sighed.

"So, you're going to Okinawa?"

"I'll ask Kozume first."

Rintarou nodded twice, feeling a bit down. There was a few minutes of silence between them before he broke it with a question he wished he had never asked.

"That guy, Kozume. Have you told him about your situation?" he asked, feeling awkward as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"I already did," Etsuko sighed once again. "I texted him before Mother arrived. Kozume is probably still sleeping. He'll read it when we're already home," she said, as if she knew everything about him.

Kenma wasn't a morning person. He probably stayed up all night playing games, Etsuko thought to herself.

"Okay," Rintarou nodded, satisfied with her answer. "If Kozume-" he was interrupted by Etsuko, not giving him a chance to speak again.