26

cttro

~

"I love you, Mom! I'll be out!" Etsuko called out as she slipped on her shoes.

Her mother stood behind her with arms crossed. "And where are you off to this early in the morning?"

"Just some errands here and there. Don't worry, Omi's coming with me," Etsuko reassured.

Mrs. Miya sighed, feeling resigned. "Alright, just make sure you're back before dinner and don't push yourself too hard. Remember, you just got out of the hospital. The doctor said—"

Just then, Omi appeared, putting on his shoes.

Lucky! Etsuko thought, grateful to avoid her mother's lengthy lecture.

"Both of you, take care, okay?" Mrs. Miya urged.

Omi nodded in agreement.

"Alright, we're off! Bye, Mom!" Etsuko planted a quick kiss on her mother's cheek before dashing outside, pulling Omi along with her.

"What's the rush?" Omi asked as he settled into the driver's seat. "Buckle up," he reminded firmly. Etsuko complied with his instruction.

"We're short on time. I have a series of appointments lined up—meeting the cake decorator, food tasting, venue checks for the ceremony and reception, consultations with the designer, and I've added extra invitations just in case you have anyone else in mind to invite," Etsuko hurriedly listed off, her words tumbling out in a rush.

Sakusa found himself at a loss for words, not just due to Etsuko's urgent tone but also because everything seemed to be moving at lightning speed. Sakusa knew Etsuko has a lot of connections in every field, considering her field of work. He marveled at how swiftly she arranged everything.

"Okay," he managed to respond, still trying to process the whirlwind of preparations.

Cutting in before he could continue, Etsuko queried, "Have you started working on your vows?"

"Come on, Euko. I have months to prepare my vows," Sakusa replied with a straight face.

"I'll let that slide," Etsuko remarked, narrowing her eyes and snapping her fingers playfully. "By the way, when are you planning to return to Tokyo?" 

"In about five days, I believe," he responded, a hint of regret lacing his words. "Your brother and I have an intense training schedule for the upcoming Olympics. I'm afraid we won't be able to accompany you to the airport for your departure to your grandparents' place."

"Actually," she began, a soft sigh escaping her lips, "I've already informed my grandparents that I'll be staying in Tokyo."

Her grandparents harbored a certain resentment towards Kenma, convinced that he had stolen their beloved granddaughter away from them. Nevertheless, Etsuko had promised to visit them after the birth of her child, allowing them to meet their great-grandchild.

He paused for a moment, a tension-filled silence hanging in the air before he finally spoke. "So, does this mean... you and Kenma are back together?"

"Yeah," she admitted, a strange sensation fluttering in her stomach at the acknowledgement.

Sakusa cast a fleeting glance her way, his eyes filled with a mix of surprise and concern. "Have you informed your brothers? Your mother?"

"Mom already knows. She was with me when I had the phone call with my grandparents," she explained, "I'm planning to tell Tsumu and Samu later." 

Sakusa exhaled heavily, the weight of the situation evident in his sigh. "We both know how your brothers are going to react, don't we?"

Etsuko nodded in agreement. Surely, they would be understanding considering her pregnancy, wouldn't they?