Chapter 9

***JACK'S POV***

I awoke to sunlight blinding me through my curtains. The memory of having a beer hit me like a ton of bricks. My head started spinning, and I had to lay back down after stretching. I felt like crap. I decided to call my boss and say that I was sick. I looked at my phone (which made me really dizzy) and found my work number. Hopefully, Jenny, the girl who takes care of our finances, will answer. I waited over the long silence to see if someone would pick up the phone.
---------------
***NICOLE'S POV***

I couldn't sleep last night. I guess because I was excited about the apartment. I'm not exactly sure why. I got up out of bed, my hair matted and tangled, and walked downstairs. I grabbed some instant coffee from the cabinet and put it in the coffee maker. I snatched a cup out of the dish drainer. The one that my dad gave me when I was little. The one that says 'Daddy's Girl'. I didn't drink coffee then, but I think he got it while he was on a business trip. It was the only thing I have left of his love, besides all of the memories. I felt a small smile spread across my face, pushing me back into reality. I shoved the mug under the coffee dispenser, letting the coffee slowly fill my cup. I took a sip, suddenly alert. I looked over at the kitchen door and saw Lillie, my sister, walk in. She rubbed her eyes sleepily. She then held out her arms, wanting me to pick her up. I did. "Where is daddy?" she asked suddenly. I guess she doesn't fully understand his death.

"He's in heaven, watching over us in the clouds." I felt tears creep their way I to my eyes as I said that.

"Up there?" she said, pointing at the ceiling.

"Yup." And I let one of the many tears that I kept inside me roll down my cheek.
-------------
***JACK'S POV***

I heard the click as someone answered the phone.

"Hello?" they said. It was Jenny.

"Umm... hey. Could you tell Gerald that I'm not coming to work today?"

"Why aren't you coming?"

"Uh, I think I'm getting sick. I head cold, I think."

"Well, I certainly don't want to catch it, and I'm sure that the other workers wouldn't like to either." She let out an uneasy laugh. "I'll tell him. Take care. Hope you feel better."

"Thanks." I hung up. No work today. Yes!!!!