Chapter 14

I flopped down on our new leather couch. Jack and I had spent at least the whole day unpacking our stuff. Good thing this house has some extra bedrooms. If we had company, they'd have somewhere to stay. "I'm hungry, fix me somethin' to eat," Jack said, his southern accent starting to show through. He's been speaking a lot more like the people around here.

I rolled my eyes at him. "Do you think I'm your maid?" I asked him.

He gave me a tiny smile. "No. Just go fix me something to eat."

I got up, the leather squeaking as I moved. "What do you want?" I shouted from the kitchen.

"I don't know, woman! Whip up one of your southern dishes!" he shouted teasingly, a goofy smile on his face. I scowled and did as he asked. He turned on football. God, we're acting like an old bickering couple.

"Here's your 'southern dish'," I said as I put his plate of baked barbecue chicken on the table. He got off of the couch, turning off the TV, and sat down at the mahogany table. Jack just stared at the plate.

"What?" I asked, getting more and more impatient by his attitude.

"Is this barbecue?" he asked.

"Yes, are you blind?"

"No."

"Well, eat."

----------

After a few minutes of watching TV, Jack sat down beside me.

"Look, babe, sorry about earlier. You know I was just teasing."

I scoffed. "M-hmm." I said, crossing my arms over my chest.

He suddenly leaned in and planted a long kiss on my lips. When we pulled away, he smiled.

"Does that convince you?" he asked.

I nodded. "But maybe you need to kiss me one more time so I can be sure." I joked. He smiled again.

And we kissed like no one was there in the room but us. Which was true.

My life right now can't get anymore perfect.

But who knew that would change in a instant?