2. That's why

Dear Lexi,

I don't know where to start with talking to you. I just feel like I could tell you everything. I didn't think of writing to any of my new cousins when they were born. Maybe, that's because I knew I would always be around for them. We are family.

I feel like with you, a gust of wind could take you away from me and all that would be left is a memory. That's why I want to write to you. Lexi, I know it will be years before you can read and understand what I mean from this.

Years before you know that this whole book can be seen by everyone but was meant for your eyes. And maybe one day you will hate it and work to forget it. That doesn't mean I will stop writing for you. I just feel pushed to do this. And that's what the lesson for today will be.

Here's the story I want to share with you. When I was going into seventh grade I went on a mission trip to West Virginia. I was put in a group with my brother and our male leader. Those were the only people I knew in our group, and the only ones I know now when everything is said and done.

There was Laural, Kenzie, Rebecca, Lauren (possibly), Sean, and one other guy (Caleb??) in our group. The last guy, throughout the whole week I believe he said almost 3 words.

Laural, Kenzie, and Sean were from the same church and Rebecca and Lauren knew each other as well. Everyone quickly became friends. I mean we were stuck with each other for hours for a week, might as well make it enjoyable. Only, I thought they were my new friends.

They soon ditched me. It took them a while (2 days) but they figured out I wasn't fit to be their friend, I guess. I remember figuring that out the 3rd day of our 5 day trip. When, they waited for Lauren to get out of the shower but not me who was a moment later getting out.

That was hard, but I had gotten a clue so when the next day rolled around and we headed to our work site, they asked if one of us would help at our other house. I gladly volunteered wanting to be away from them and left to work on the bathroom. I talked while we put the sticky tile on the floor for the man.

I talked to Mr. Chad about my life back home and how things were around there. I spoke of my friends and I don't know what else but I told stories that whole time. Later that day, my church group was all gathered up at the little corner store outside of the old school we were living in.

The leader that was in my group told us something that shocked me so much. He said, "I was talking to Chad after working and he said that he hadn't know why he had come here for the mission trip, but when he listened to your stories he knew."

My mind was simply blown. My stories had caused him to realize why he had come there?? I was flabbergasted, I didn't realized the effect words could have on somebody until then.

That's why I'm writing this Lexi. Because I feel pushed to tell you these stories and hopefully make you realize something too. I think you (and others) can learn something from the stories I share. So Lexi, if you ever wonder, that's why this book is written for you.

      With Love, 
Cara