Prologue

The time is irrelevant

I suppose it is only fitting that this is my punishment. I tried to take their words, so they will take mine. But first, I must write one last story. It is not my story, although I play a supporting role. It is the story of two girls who may have saved the world. They may have destroyed it as well. The devil you know is always better than the devil you don't.

I assure you that I never meant to be the villain. I merely wanted to give what I could never have. I rolled the dice The Universe handed me. I took my cards and I played them as best I could. I bluffed that I could be the ruler of the world and I believed myself. Every leader has a chink in their armour. And none ever protects it enough. If they did, they never would fall.

Of course, I knew what was coming. I knew that I would try to stop it. I knew that I would fail. And therein lies the paradox of my knowledge. I see the way the future plays out, and I am powerless to halt the wheels of time. I know the paths I set in motion; never realizing the ones I didn't. I cannot change the future. I can only see it and act with it.

The story of the world in the Bible begins with Heaven and Earth. Already two separate entities. The holy one, and the one filled with humanity. I do not believe in Hell. There are enough demons on Earth to fill it thousands of times over. I don't believe in Heaven either. Angels live on Earth too. But that's a story I will never get to tell.

Our story cannot begin with Heaven and Earth because Heaven is Earth and Earth is Hell. We will begin with a library, the greatest library, and it is burning.