twelve

"Babe!" I press okay on the camera timer settings and set it down onto the shelf.

"What?" I hear her call back, moments later.

"Come here, I wanna do something,"

"Do what?"

"Just come here!"

She dramatically huffed and the sound of her feet echoed loudly as she stomped down the stairs.

"Come here, drama queen," I opened my arms and she slowly walked into them.

"What do you want?"

I turned her around to face sideways. After shifting her a few steps to the side so it wasn't off, I jogged to hit the shutter button on the camera. The ten second countdown beeping began.

She groaned loudly and turned around to leave, "No!" I quickly pulled her back to our spot and wrapped my arms around her.

"Yes. Just real quick."

She looked down at herself, "I'm not even dressed for-"

"You look great, just smile."

"Niall-"

"Smile. At. The. Camera."

She fake smiled at the camera.

2 seconds later.. *click*

"Happy?"

"You didn't smile."

"You saw me! I did too!"

"When you smile, your whole face lifts, your cheeks become pink, and sometimes your tongue touches the back of your teeth. So, I think I know a fake smile when I see one from you."

Her mouth slightly fell open. I closed it with a kiss.

I grabbed the camera's remote off the table and let my finger hover over the button, "Let's try again, yeah?"

"3...2...1.."

*click*

"I wasn't ready!"

"What do you mean you weren't ready? I counted down!"

"I was out of it. Delete that! Please."

I unwrapped my arms from her and walked over to the camera. I clicked through to the last picture to see what she was talking about.

I paused. Holy shit.

She was looking at me like I was a newborn. Unaltered, adoration, and real love in her eyes as she looked up at me as I smiled at the camera. Usually that's how I was looking at her, but to see the roles switched was... amazing. Not only to witness it but to have a photo of it? I'm cherishing this to my grave.

"Why on earth would I delete this?"

I instantly felt her at my back, fighting to take the camera from me, "Niall, I'm serious!"

"Baby, so am I when I say that this might be one of the best pictures I've ever gotten of you. I'm sure, as hell, keeping it."