5. Ghost

Due to my issues with my dad, I couldn't go into the house just yet to speak with him

Due to my issues with my dad, I couldn't go into the house just yet to speak with him. Instead, I stood outside my car, staring at the country fence he loves to put up, and wishing he'd come out and see my first before I go in. The thing I have with my dad has been since my mom left.

He divorced my mom, I still don't why. She left, and got married to someone else, a few years later, she died. My dad attended her funeral and even dropped a white rose on it. A white rose had always been a symbol of their love. But honestly, since my mom left, dad hasn't tried to be with another woman. I'm happy for that, but I still hold this little bitterness in my heart, toward him for sending my mom away. I was still so young.

"How long till you go in, son?" I hear my father say from behind.

He's wearing a colorful shirt with a brown jacket on it. His jeans look faded. With all the money I and Mich have, he wouldn't want us to do anything for him. He only allowed us to get him this country house because it was a birthday gift. A few months later, he transformed the place into a ranch for a horse or two, then up to dozens.

"I was going to go in" I lie.

"Uh-huh. Like I haven't seen you some couple times drive by, do the stare, and leave" Dad accuses. I roll my eyes following behind him.

"What's up Pup, I say and he smiles.

"Everything's good."

"Have you heard Mich is getting married?" I ask, and he stops in his track.

"Is that what you came to me to talk about?" He questions.

"Yes. Exactly that"

He sighs and continued in his steps.

"Leave her alone Jacob," my dad said, surprisingly, because he'd always been protective of Mich too. But it seemed he gave up on her and her wrong choices of men. Hey! I'm not a saint, don't come for me please, but I know my limits, and I know what I'm after, but Mich is seeking someone to love her.

"I don't like him"

"You're not the one marrying him"

I sigh. "Oh come on! Don't tell me Mich talked you into this"

"She didn't. I want her to be happy" Dad says, he offered me a glass of whiskey, I couldn't say no. "You know she brought the boy here about a week ago"

"You don't say" I mumble with full sarcasm, gulping

"They seemed ok. He seemed to like her."

"Like all the others"

Dad shakes his head. "There's something about this one"

I sigh. Coming here to talk to him is a complete waste of time then.

"What about you Jacob? Found anyone, or you're still with that Claudia"

"Let's not" I grunt.

"Why not?" My dad pressured and I sigh. "Look, son, something's on your mind, you just got to let it out. Also, I think you should take a break from work. Maybe like a vacation. You work too much. You could even take your sister and the boys"