6. Runaway Ex

I push my cart around the mall like a lost woman, just because I'm looking for Nutella

I push my cart around the mall like a lost woman, just because I'm looking for Nutella. They're my favorite and can go with literally anything when I hear someone call my name. It's a huge mall, and only a few persons could know me, but I'm surprised when I see it's Ernest. He has a grin on his face as he walks to me, his hands in his pocket.

Ok, what do I do now? I fiddle with the paper on the cart. I'm exactly used to running into failed dates. It happened once or twice, but that was a long time ago.

"Fancy seeing you here, but hey! You gotta eat" he pulls off a very lame joke that has me rolling my eyes internally.

"Hello, Ernest" I greet. "Nice to see you here"

"You too, Becca. I was looking forward to knowing you more, but you left"

Here we go...."I um...felt sick" the usual lie.

"Oh my, are you ok?" He's standing by my side, tapping my arm. I pull my hand away from him gently.

"Yes, yes I'm fine now," I say with a smile in hopes he just says ok and away but he doesn't. He moves on to ask.

"So, would you be free this weekend? How about another date?"

Time to input the other lie. I only use this when. The first lie doesn't drive them away. "I already met someone" I mumble, pinching my eyes, and biting my bottom lip, trying to look guilty. His mouth forms into a big O.

"I'm happy for you, Becca" Ernest grinned, and I can't tell if it's genuine, because he's always smiling.

"Thank you, Ernest. I hope you find someone, one day" I tell him, my eyes moving left. "Ah! There they are!" I sigh, rushing to get five jars of Nutella.

"You love those too?" He chuckles

"Very" I giggle.

"That's nice. They're good stuff" he dips his hands back in his pocket, staring down at me. "I hope we can still be friends" he then smiles, and hand me a card. "You left in a hurry the other night so I couldn't give you this"

I stare at the card. "You're a cop?" I smile and he nods.

"Call sometime?"

"Sure," and he moves close to me. My body moves back a bit but relaxes when he placed a kiss on my cheek and I sigh out in relief. It wasn't anything creepy.

"Bye Becca" he grins before walking off. I wave behind him, into the distance, praying I haven't lost my shot at having a decent man in my life for once.

I hurry to the cashier to check out and get my things ready for the travel tomorrow.

°°°

Bailey dropped a message about me parking cold, but sexy clothes, and I just rolled my eyes a dozen times. She has this imperfect illusion, that I would meet someone during my vacation. Well, we all know that's a funny cliche thing to happen even if it does happen Besides, I'm happy with my life the way it is right now.