Chapter 1: I BELONGED

Disclaimer: I don't own the characters except the plot. I don't make money out of it.

Warning: A bit out of character.

Chapter
I
I Belonged

***

If Wu Xie had to guess the building's architectural origin he would probably go with Meng Dynasty but then they did steal... um... borrow their ideas from Han Dynasty. And so he settled for the hybrid 'MengHan Dynasty' and considered the possibility that he had been watching too much of the History Channel.

Wu Xie's gaze trailed up the twenty shallow step toward the massive structure with it large stone columns, knowing that it was a courthouse. He rubbed the back of his head and frowned. The problem was that he had never seen the building before, he had no idea how he knew it was a courthouse, and couldn't fathom why every instinct he possessed told him to ascend the steps and go inside.

Wu Xie looked around in confusion and noticed for the first time that he wasn't alone. People, hundreds of them, scaled the steps. Some were old, ambling up the steps and others where younger, some even his age. He saw children of all ages scampering up the steps, giggling and laughing. He tried to smile, catch their attention, maybe understand why he was here, but unlike him, the other didn't look anywhere but at the large entrance of the building. Their step didn't slow. It was like they were on a mission with no doubt in their mind why they were there.

He turned in a circle and saw that the building lay just off a busy street. Cars passed and people walked by without giving any indication that they saw the courthouse looming over them, its dark shadow nipping at their heels

With his brow furrowed, he studied the building once more, hoping to jog his memory of how the building was so familiar even while part of his mind knew he'd never been here. The roof was pointed in a manner that resembled a squat triangle with its edges arc sharply. The wall was a dramatic depiction of Gods and Demons locked in battle, their swords drawn and faces twisted in concentration, filled its center and Wu Xie almost held his breath waiting for harsh cracking sounds of metal clashing on metal.

The sun peeked from behind the clouds and the weathered colored red stone shone so brightly Wu Xie was nearly mesmerized by the brilliance. At the same time, the pillars and sharp recesses in the architecture cast parts of the building in ominous shadow, the contrast making a shiver run up the young man's spine.

Curiosity, concern, and excitement swirled inside his chest and Wu Xie began walking slowly up the steps. He shoved his hands in his pockets and nearly tripped when he realized he was dressed in his favorite worn jeans and sweater. He had no memory of putting the clothes on and normally he didn't wear the sweatshirt, a relic from his college years, when he had important places to go. He stilled halfway up the steps and looked at the entrance again. The sun had moved and the shadows cast the doorway in darkness, making it look like all of the people were walking mindlessly into a black hole, disappearing from sight.

"What's going on?" he asked aloud and wasn't surprised when he didn't get a response. Suddenly he felt the dark brown hairs on the back of his neck stand up and knew someone was watching him. He turned to his left and three step up, midnight black eyes pierced his own, holding him in place. The dark eyes matched the midnight strands slightly shadowing over the dark orb.

Wu Xie had the urge to look back at the painted wall, sure that he had seen that same face and intense expression on the Gods... or maybe the Demons... fighting. The man was dressed in a black hoodie, jeans and boots. He leaned back on the step behind him with his long legs out in front crossed at the ankles.

Wu Xie held the stare and finally forced a smile to his face before he nodded in greeting. The man's eyes widened, if only for a moment, and then nodded upwards toward the doorway.

Wu Xie frowned and looked once more to the entrance, this time finding that the clouds had shifted again and the pathway was illuminated and welcoming. He glanced back at the dark haired man but he was no longer looking at him, instead staring off at the street, his expression closed off and dark.

"Well, if some mysterious guy wants me to go," Wu Xie muttered to himself, "It must be okay." He shook his head and continued his climb. The closer he got to the door, the more he felt like he was making a wise decision. The doubt slowly fled and Wu Xie felt excitement flood into his chest. This was it. This was where he belonged. Finally, after his whole life... he belonged.

In his excitement Wu Xie didn't feel those black eyes fall on him once more and he didn't see the sadness that flitted through inky black as the bright smile lit up Wu Xie's face.

***
To be continued...

Author's Note: I dreamed some weird stuff last night and because of that, I kind of have this idea of... death and after life or reincarnation. And I want to express it through writing and here it was. I hope you guys like it.