432 Haywood Drive

Genre: Abuse / Healing

He made the walk along this street a thousand times and yet he wasn't old enough to be unaccompanied by an adult. Leaving the house was pure luck, sticking to the dark corners Jai Brooks kept his head down as a car passed by. "Nearly there," he said to himself. The night air was cold, the melting snow on the sidewalk was soaking the tattered house slipper on his feet. His bathrobe was the warmest thing he can find and big enough to cover him completely. His chest hurt from keeping his painful cries in and something was trickling down his back, he knew what it was right away. 

He had to go to her.

She can help.

She was the only one.

Kasey.

He needed Kasey.

Turning the corner, he was now in one of the best neighborhoods in town. Their streets were clean, the lawns neat and the houses looked so warm and inviting inside. Jai silently pushed his slender body to move faster, his legs were threatening to cave under him but he pushed and begged. 

A little further. 

Two more houses.

The light inside 432 Haywood Drive was his saving grace. 

Crossing the street, he crossed the lawn to the split-level home and scaled the locked garden gate. He fell when his slipper slipped on the bars, biting his lip, his painful shout was muffled. Jai laid on the cobblestone path shivering in the cold and in so much pain. The sad whine of a dog made him open his eyes. The tears rolling down his bruised face glimmered under the moonlight. The family's husky gingerly licked the little boy's face and stood still as he used him as a brace to get to his feet. "Yono. Thanks," he whispered.

The dog walked the boy to the back of the house where a window was left ajar. More tears came to his eyes, soft sobs escaped him when he saw the step ladder he began to use three years ago was placed below the window. Hands near to be frozen stiff but he was able to open the window wider. Quietly, he crawled into the room, the light from the hallway was enough for him to see his best friend asleep on one side of her bed. Careful of not waking her up, he shuffled out her door and went into the bathroom. 
Jai thought he was being quiet when he stripped and took care of his bruises but the presence of Mrs. Kingsley startled him. The woman didn't say a word, she simply took the alcohol-soaked cotton and tended to the damage done to his back. He too said nothing, he silently cried as she took care of him. She made sure he took a warm bath, washed his hair then dressed him in brand new pajamas. 
Like every time this woman cared for him, he made a wish to let the social people make her his mom.

"There's my honey pie Jai," she cooed when he was dressed. A blush stained his pale cheeks, fiddling with his fingers, he thanked her. 

"You hungry, kid?" The booming voice of Mr. Kingsley startled him. He cowered behind the woman in fear, though he knew the man for years, being around men still scared him.

"Y-Yes, thank you, sir," he answered timidly.

"I cooked. You will love it," the man said with a light laugh. 

"He made your favorite. Penne Pasta with spicy meatballs," Mrs. Kingsley offered as she led him back into Kasey's room. He glanced in the direction of the bed and giggled when he saw his best friend with her leg dangling over the bed and snoring way too loudly. 

"We know you're awake Kasey," her mom said aloud, trying not to laugh. The light switch was flipped and up the little girl bounced, sitting up with a sheepish grin on her face. Jai made his way over to her and crawled under the covers to go by her side. Her smile wavered a bit but she kept it there.