Sing Me Out of Pain

I sat up so quick that I almost flipped over. I rubbed my eyes where the tears had leaked onto my cheeks. I had fallen asleep. I looked around me and saw the dark, nightmare sand cage that I was still imprisoned in. I rubbed the bridge of my nose fighting a now pounding headache. I thought about how much Pitch had changed since I first knew him. Ever since he turned from the kind, selfless person I knew, he had brought fear to everyone around the world, filling his pleasure meter to one million percent.

The small window appeared again and Pitch’s face peered through to me, “Oh look, the little dog is awake from her nap.”

I frowned and looked at the floor of my cage, “What do you want with me...”

“I thought it was obvious,” Pitch said, “I want to destroy Jack Frost and of course all the other Guardians. Crush them from the inside, out.”

I pursed my lips in anger, “You can keep me here as long as you want. I’m not doing anything for your little operation.” I fiddled with the hem of my torn, green tank top.

“Well,” Pitch began again, “When I need you, I will call you. Is that fair?”

I didn’t answer and he left me again, in the dark, alone. I flopped onto my back and stared at the ceiling which I couldn’t see anyway so that was pointless. But for some reason I just laid there hoping for a bit of light so I could see the roof of my prison. About an hour went by and nothing happened. I ended up creating small stones out of thin air and throwing them at the wall just so I wouldn’t go insane from boredom. When I got tired of that, I walked around my cage memorizing where the walls were and how far they were apart from each other. After that, I sang a song that reminded me of the forest.

Leaves of green, high in trees
A gust of wind, Summer’s breeze.
The sun will shine like stars at night,
The flowers bloom in rays of light.

Sing to me, oh, such life
Bring to me joy.
Grow in the children's sight
Love the warmth and run in The Glen.

Rivers will run, robins will sing.
The sun will keep shine
And give life to all things.

    Peace still my heart from this world of wonder,
I hear the wind calling my name.
The Earth seems to speak with voice rolling like thunder,
My soul will be never the same.

Sing to me, oh, such life
Bring to me joy.
Grow in the children's sight
Love the warmth and run in The Glen.

Rivers will run, robins will sing.
The sun will keep shine
And give life to all things,

I smiled softly and thought about the words. I imagined myself at home in the forest. The flowers were blooming and the bees were pollinating them. The squirrels were building their homes in the trees and the deer were grazing in the thickets. I missed the forest. But I also missed my friends. The Guardians accepted me like they had known me for years when I had rejected my part as a Guardian for centuries. I was lost in thought until I heard Pitch’s dark laugh. Before I knew it I was in a cloud of smoke appearing in the middle of an icy tundra in Pitch’s grasp. I was extremely confused but I soon caught on to what was happening.

I saw Jack pointing his staff toward me, “Let her go, Pitch!”

“The staff, Jack. You have a bad habit of interfering. Now hand it over, and I’ll let her go,” Pitch yelled.

I didn’t know what Pitch wanted with the staff but I shook my head, “No...”

Pitch grabbed my throat and Jack hesitantly handed Pitch his staff, “Alright, now let her go.”

Pitch smirked and shook his head, “No. You said you wanted to be alone. So be alone!”

“NO!” Jack yelled.

With the strength that I never knew he had, Pitch threw me into a giant glacier making me hit my head and fall into a deep, icy trench. Everything was a blur to me but I heard Jack yell as he fell down beside me. My eyes closed as I sank into darkness.