Friends of Yours?

I looked behind me to see Jack kneeling down to Jamie, “I know, I know. But you’re gonna be alright...” He paused, “We’re gonna have a little fun, instead. That’s it. That’s my center!”

I had no idea what he was talking about and I didn’t have the time to figure out. I thought of something that might help buy some time for Jack if he needed to plan. I dropped my thorns and stepped closer to Pitch.

“Peter,” I whispered to him and he glared at me, “Peter, I know you’re in there.”

Pitch growled, “What are you talking about?!”

 He was so focussed on what I was saying he didn’t back away as I stepped closer, “Peter, I know it’s been a long time since we’ve been together,” I felt everyone’s eyes on my back especially Jack’s as I continued, “but I want you to know...that...” I took a deep breath as I went on tip toe to whisper in Pitch’s ear, “I still love you.”

I backed away and saw Pitch’s eyes. They had changed dramatically from stone cold to warm and a bit confused in a split second. As fast as Peter had shone through Pitch, he left just as quickly. Pitch roared at me infuriated, and back handed my face sending me into the wall of a brick building.

He laughed, “So what do you think, Jamie? Do you believe in the Boogima...”

But before he could finish, a snowball hit him right in his face. Jamie laughed and I looked at Jack who was grinning, “Now let’s go find your friends.”

Jack grabbed a few trash can lids and used them as sleds as the Guardians and Jamie slid on the ice path Jack created. I laughed and changed into my wolf form. Pitch was wiping the snow off his face when I leaped over his head and bolted after Jack. After a few minutes, all of Jamie’s friends were following us on the icy sledding path. I ran next to it on the road as a blonde kid with glasses stared at me in awe. He could see me too?! The others kids stared as well and I barked. Compared to them I was enormous which was probably why they looked so scared. So to fix that, I jumped onto the ice and slid down on my haunches howling and wagging my tail to show them I was friendly. The boy with glasses laughed and patted my head. I jumped up and ran on my leaf path so I was up next to Jack. He looked at me with his gorgeous blue eyes and grinned. I barked again and took off in front of him full speed daring him to race me. Soon we stopped and I jumped off my leaf path, turning back into my normal self. The Guardians stood in a group and the kids were at our sides.

“Yeaaaaaaaaah!!!” the blonde boy ran up but quickly turned around when Pitch showed up in front of us, “Aaaaaaaaaah!!!”

Pitched smirked, “You think a few children can help you? Against this?!” Pitch raised his arms and a tidal wave of Nightmares appeared above him.

“They’re just bad dreams, Jamie,” I said.

Bunny tried to sound reassuring, “And we’ll protect you, mate.”

“Aww,” Pitch whined sarcastically, “you’ll protect them. But who will protect you?”

I looked at Jack feeling some defeat when Jamie spoke, “I will.”

One of Jamie’s friends pushed her way through the group, “I will.”

Two boys who looked to be twins came forward, “I will.” “I will!”

“And me,” another girl said.

The boy with glasses came next to me reluctantly, “I’ll try.”

Pitch grimaced in anger as he shot his hands forward and the wave of Nightmares followed his movements toward us, “Still think there’s no such thing as the Boogieman?!”

I gaped. There was no way we were getting out of this one. “I do believe in you,” Jamie said quietly, “I’m just not afraid of you.”

The Nightmares were about to attack us when Jamie reached out his hand and closed his eyes. Immediately when his fingers touched, the black turned to gold dream sand and circled around us in small streams. Everyone smiled and laughed as Tooth got her power to fly back and she flew around with joy. North stood up now that the pain in his old back was gone for good.

“No!” Pitch screamed, “Get them! Do your jobs!”

Bunny wiggled his tail waiting to turn back to his six foot self, “Oh yeah, come on, come on!” But before he could Nightmares ran towards him, “Oh, crikey! I’m just a bunny!”

Bunny ran towards me and I picked him up, “Go get em’ tiger.”

He looked at me quizzically and I planted a kiss on his tiny pink nose. His face turned red and I felt his small foot thumping wildly on my hand. I set Bunny back on the ground and he grew back to full size. He was still in shock from my kiss but he shook his head when he heard a Nightmare running up behind him.

He whirled around and pulled out his boomerangs, “G’day, mate!”

I laughed and Bunny destroyed the Nightmare with one whip of his weapon. He turned around to look back at me.

“Um...” he blushed and rubbed his neck.

I rolled my eyes and shoved him backward playfully as I leaped into the sky on my leaf path. I ran around throwing my thorns at millions of Nightmares and whipping them with my vines. I also saw North smash two snow globes onto the road and six Yetis ran out to help us. My smile quickly turned to a frown when I saw Jack confronting Pitch on a nearby roof. He was shooting frost blasts from his staff as Pitch blocked them with his nightmare sand scythe. Quickly making a u-turn, I ran towards the roof to help Jack. Pitch’s scythe caught Jack’s leg and he fell. I gasped and jumped as far as I could and as fast as I could toward the roof before Pitch could strike at him again. In mid air I shifted back to a wolf and landed in front of Jack baring my fangs at Pitch. He was about to attack me, but I ran forward with such speed he didn’t see me until I knocked him to the ground with my paws pinning his shoulders. I hesitated and thought about ripping his head off but he threw me off of him and right next to Jack who was just standing up. I laid limply on the roof for a second or two but jumped back on my feet immediately. Just then, the other Guardians jumped onto our roof and pushed Pitch down and cornered him in another alley.

“It’s over, Pitch!” Jack grimaced, “There’s no place to hide.”

For an instant Pitch looked scared. But he regained composure and disappeared into a ton of shadows.

I had no idea which shadow to aim at before Bunny yelled, “Jack, look out!”