Chapter 7 Part 1

“Are you sure you don’t want any more, Monster?” Mrs. Becker questioned her son as he stood to leave the dinner table.  “You’ve hardly eaten anything.”

                Rory nodded, pushing his chair back under the table.  “Yeah.  We’re going to grab some food before we go tonight.  I was going to head out soon.”

                His father glanced up from his phone.  “Got all your homework done?”

                “Yeah.  I finished it all at school.”

                “Who’s going to be there?”

                “Just some of the football guys.  Have no fear, old man.  Nobody will get kidnapped or die tonight.”

                “That’s comforting to know.  Have a good time then,” Mr. Becker replied with a smirk, his attention returning to his phone. 

                Mrs. Becker rolled her eyes.  “Home by midnight.  Have fun.”

                Rory chuckled and sauntered out the front door, grabbing his keys on the way.  It was a lovely fall day outside.  The sun was just beginning to set, turning everything a vivacious orange.  He shoved his hands into the pocket of his hoodie as he ambled over to Paige’s house, feeling nervous for some unknown reason.  He knocked on the Hills’ door and took a step back.  His bounced on his heels, checking his phone as he waited.

                After a few moments, there was a raucous on the other side of the door.  Rory looked up as the door opened, his eyebrows raised in question.  Daniel and some other boy he didn’t recognize were standing almost on top of each other.  “Uh, hi,” Rory mumbled awkwardly.  “Is Paige here?”

                “Why?” Daniel questioned. 

                “Shut up, Daniel.  She’s upstairs.  Why don’t I go get her for you?  Daniel, be nice,” the other boy instructed, leaving them with a subtle wave.

                Daniel turned and watched him go, waiting for him to be out of sight before turning back to Rory.  “Neither of them will tell me anything so why are you here?” he asked bluntly.

                “Paige is coming with me tonight to hang out with some of my friends.”

                “Who are your friends?”

                “Just some of the guys from the football team.”

                “Where are you going?”

                “Some meadow about half an hour from here.  It’s amazing at night.”

                “What are your intentions with my little sister?”

                “Seriously?”

                “Did I sound like I was joking?”

                Rory sighed.  “I just want to hang out with her.  She’ll come back in one piece, untouched.  I’m not trying to get in her pants.”

                “Bullshit.”

                “Scout’s honor,” Rory muttered sarcastically, folding his arms over his chest.

                “Don’t give me that shit.  I don’t have to let Paige go out.”

                “How would you keep her here?  She’s a big girl.  If she wants to, she’ll find a way to get out.”