Chapter 4

Music pounded throughout the house.  Everywhere Rory went, people were clapping him on the shoulder and congratulating him on a great game.  They had crushed the Knights 56-0, and the after-party was in full swing.

                Too bad Rory couldn’t enjoy the festivities yet.  He had managed to avoid Olivia all day, but it was time to confront her. 

                He found her talking to a few of her friends in one of the upstairs hallways.  She looked nervous about something.  She glanced up at Rory as he approached.  She said something to her friends and stalked towards him, her lips sliding into a smirk that didn’t meet her eyes.  She wrapped her arms around his neck as she met him.  Thanks to her heels, they were looking eye to eye.  “Hey.  Congratulations on winning.  You were just as great as you usually are,” she murmured, planting a kiss on his cheek.

                Rory reached up and pulled her hands from around his neck, letting them drop back to her sides.  Olivia gazed at him, confusion coloring her features.  Rory grabbed one of her hands and pulled her into somebody’s bedroom, closing the door behind him.  “We need to talk.”

                Olivia’s eyes widened a bit, giving her the appearance of a terrified deer.  “About what?” she asked skeptically.

                “You cheated on me,” Rory stated simply.  He’d used his anger at the game, but now it was fizzling out of him as the truth made itself evident on Olivia’s face.

                 “Rory, I…”

                “Shut up.  I know it happened so there’s no point in denying it.”

                “How did you find out?” she asked quietly.

                “José is dating Matt’s sister.  He was over at their house, and you’re not quiet.”

                Olivia blushed immensely.  “You’re going to trust him over me?”

                “I know you, Olivia.  Yeah, I’m going to trust José.  Why with Matt anyways?  Were you just trying to repay him for all the homework you’ve copied from him?”

                “No.  Jesus, I’m not some kind of prostitute.  You just don’t give me what I’m looking for, Rory.”

                “Then, we’re done,” Rory muttered.  Olivia’s mouth dropped open, and her eyes glossed over.  “I’m not keeping you happy.  You’re obviously not keeping me happy.  Why fucking bother anymore?  Go be with Matt if he’s so much better for you.”

                “Rory…”

                “No.  It’s over.”  He shook his head and turned away from her, heading towards the door.

                “Rory,” she croaked out behind him, “Please, please don’t do this.  You know how much you mean to me.”

                “Not enough apparently.”  He opened the door and walked out of the room, leaving her behind.  Her friends rushed in the moment he was out of the way.  He left the second story, searching for his teammates in the crowded house.

                After a few minutes of aimless wandering, he spotted Drew in the kitchen talking to another guy.  This would be a perfect opportunity to get his mind off of what just happened.  It was one of the few nights he wished they allowed alcohol at these parties.  He strode towards the guys talking.