Chapter 6 ~ Hagrid's Lies

"I don' understan--Are yer sur' thas a Monile Torque?"

"Yes Hagrid, we found a book in the library and it looks the exact same as the picture that was in the book. Oh, and it had started floating when they were using Porcupine Quills. It is a real Monile Torque," said Juniper.

Hagrid turned from Juniper to me.

"Do yr' have it with you?" he asked.

I looked at Maia and she put her eyebrows up. I think she was thinking what I was thinking--Hagrid was suddenly giving so much attention to it.

"No--Er--It's in my dormitory, I kept it in a safe box."

"Well I don' now much 'bout it but I heard it comes with it's punishments--Don' wanna mess 'round with it. If I're yuh I'd give it back to yer father."

Now I was very concerned, Maya eyed me and so did Juniper. I knew all three of us must be thinking the same thing.

"What--What sort of punishment?" asked Juniper.

"I rather say nun, but it can make someone go crazy." He looked at me very alarmingly.

We had left Hagrid's Hut and headed back to the castle. Fluffy was outside his hut, five times bigger since I last saw him.

"You reckon it's true? I mean the whole you'll go mental?"

"Maia, Hagrid wouldn't make this up," said Juniper.

"As much as I trust Hagrid, I agree with Maia. If there was anything bad about the Monile Torque, why wasn't it in the book? And something about Hagrid seemed off today." I knew father had gone to meet him yesterday, but I doubt--no he couldn't. Even if he had seen my floating necklace, he wouldn't tell Hagrid to lie. He wouldn't.

"Are you going to see Professor Snape today?"

"No--He said he was busy today. I'll probably end up going to Hogsmeade with him next Saturday."

"I know this might sound crazy, but, what if Professor Snape did see the necklace floating during class--He just didn't want you to know," Maia whispered while Juniper and I came closer to hear what she was saying. I couldn't even get mad at her for assuming this because I had just thought about it, too.

I replied agreeing with her, "And he told Hagrid to lie, knowing I would go straight to him about the necklace. IF this is all true, whatever the necklace holds, my father does not want me to know." Maia looked at me in agreement, while Juniper...not so much.

"I think you guys are thinking too much--I mean Hagrid of all people, would never lie."

Maia rolled her eyes, "Juniper seriously, not all adult figures are god, they make bad choices too." She walked a bit forward and turned around stopping both Juniper and me.

"The only way we can figure it out is by asking Professor Snape and Hagrid or we go straight to the necklace."

Maia was right, and there was no way I was just going to forget this. Not after whatever we learned about the Monile Torque and father lying to me about it being a regular necklace.

"Alright--but what if it's true--?" Juniper got cut off by Maia.

"Well, then we will all go mental. Fun right," she said sarcastically.

Juniper froze, he probably thought she was being real.

"She's joking." I dragged him with us. "You're joking right?" I eyed Maia.