Chapter 5

Warning: This chapter contains low-key domestic violence.

***

I looked at the car which we had owned ever since we moved here. Dad always used his car to go to his workplace. It was a rare sight to see it parked here in this hour, meaning that dad was at home today.

I didn't know if I wanted to enter the house or not. Dad had rarely been home for the past few years. It was not like I disliked him, but... I just felt kinda awkward every time we met.

I took a deep breath and walked slowly to the front door. I stood in front of the door and pressed my ears to it. A familiar male voice could be heard along with my mother's voice, meaning he really was at home. I wanted to avoid him if I could, but I guess there was no helping it.

I opened the door. A pair of big shoes was present behind the entrance, along with an oversized suit on the coat rack. Seeing them made my heart feel heavy.

I closed the door slowly so as to not make any sound. After I took off my shoes I walked as carefully as I could through the corridor as to not alert anyone in the house. Just when I arrived at the bottom of the stairs-

"Kevin?"

My heart beat faster as I faced toward the source of the sound. My dad who still wore his work shirt and necktie stood at the entrance of the living room with a smile on his face.

"Hey, son. Why didn't you say anything when you got home?" He talked as he walked towards me.

"Hey, dad." I tried to smile as he patted my head. It has been his habit ever since I was little. I closed my eyes as I felt the familiar hand rubbing my fur on my head.

"How was your day? Aren't you getting taller? It feels like your height has increased since the last time I saw you. Have you eaten well?"

"Yes, dad. I'm fine."

"That's good to hear. Your dad has souvenirs for you from my business trip. How about you change your clothes first and have dinner with us? It's been forever since the last time we had a family dinner together."

"Yes, dad. I'll change my clothes now."

"Good. Don't take too long. Your mother cooked our favorite food tonight. Can't make her wait for too long."

He laughed as he patted my back. I maintained my smile as I walked to my room. As I entered my room and closed the door, I leaned back on the door and sighed. It was not that I disliked my dad, it was just that he liked to invade my privacy too much.

I didn't know if it was his way to compensate me for his absence or what, but he really didn't know the idea of personal space. Every time he was home he always entered my room without permission, doing skinship without warning, and being near me without purpose. There was even a time when he almost caught me masturbating in my room.

I knew he didn't mean anything bad, but it still made me quite uncomfortable.

I didn't know if this because I was gay, but I had a tendency to avoid any skin contact with the same gender, including my dad. I just didn't want anyone to notice that I was gay. Well, it was not like I ever had any skin contact with girls either.

I knew I sounded cold, but the only good thing about him being at home was that mother never made any scene when he was present.

I folded my arms while looking away. This was such a twisted way of thinking.

***

After changing my clothes, I went down to the dining room. The food was already present at the table as my parents sat on the chairs.