I Can't Hold On

Kylie's phone rang across the silent room startling every one of them. Within a minute, a knock also came on the door and they all glance up at each other.

"Those might be the cops guarding us. Is everyone okay? Was anyone of you hurt?" Greg asks in panic touching his wife's face, hands, and body.

"We are fine, no one is hurt" Jay replied and gently collected the gun from Nicole's hands who was staring blankly at the gun. "Kylie, are you okay?"

"Ye...yes. I'm fine" she stuttered and Jay sighs in relief.

Greg walked to the door and opened it. He flashed the cops a smile. "We heard a gunshot, is it from your room? Are you guys okay? Is there someone in there that is threatening your life we need to know?" one of the cops asks trying to peep through the room to know what was going on.

"Yes, we are perfectly fine! The gunshot you heard isn't from our room. I guess it came from one of the rooms around here. You should check other rooms, thanks" Greg flashed them a smile and gave a slight bow before shutting the door closed.

"What is wrong with you guys? How can the three of you walk around with a gun that you've not been trained on??!!!" Greg scolded.

"It's not how you see it. We told you we were on our way to get trained on how to aim when her call came in. We couldn't just ignore her like that and go about getting trained that's why we had to come here first. Our instructor is even outside waiting on us" Brad explained.

"You guys should have just left the guns with him before you came up here to our room. You just scared the shit out of all of us!" he half-yells.

"It's the hospital calling" Kylie announces and all heads snap up in her direction.

"Pick it up then," Greg said.

"I'm scared, I'm scared it's bad news I don't want to hear" she replied quietly and stared down at her phone.

"Don't jynx it girl, pick it up" Nicole finally speaks out of her shock.

"Yes, please pick up right now so we'll know if it's an emergency that requires our presence," Hannah said beside her.

Kylie gulps and picked up the call. "Hello, Kylie speaking."

"There's an emergency ma'am, your mom was attacked and her condition has gotten critical again. Your attention is needed here right away" the feminine voice said and Kylie gave a shocking gasp.

Her phone fell off her hand and her mouth remained in a gape. Everyone in the room stared at her with furrowed brows wondering what has happened this time around.

"Kylie, Kylie what did the doctor say?" Greg asks standing right in front of her, but she wasn't seeing him right now, she was staring blankly at him.

"Talk to us Kylie, what happened? Is your mom okay?" Jay asks.

"Mom was attacked and her condition became more critical" Kylie answered weakly and flopped to the bed. The bad news hits every one of them sending them into an awkward silence.

Greg's phone rang and he immediately digs it out from his pocket and stared at the caller ID, "The cop Lady" he mumbles and his heartbeat throbbed faster than it was a few seconds ago. Hannah gazes up at him when she heard it was Alice calling.

"Go ahead and pick up," she said and Greg did immediately.

"Hello, you've got news for us?" he asks when he picked up.

"Yes, my squad and I found a hair clip along a road close to the woods of your daughter's apartment. Should I come over to your lodge or would you come to the station to identify if it belongs to your daughter?" Alice said on her end sending Greg dumbstruck. "Did you hear me, Mr. Greg?"