Chapter 8

Serendipity- Finding Something Good Without Looking For It

I hadn't seen Uncle Benji after his uninvited visit to the bar. A week straight without any incidents. Beside the strange occurrence of Kenny Ackerman.
He stayed at his seat all day and poked questions, like always.
I was surprised by the amount of information I knew about him.
He was scared of bananas. His favorite day was Wednesday because he hated how it was spelt, which didn't make much sense. He hates turning the candle off and having to go up the stairs in the dark. He believes in ghosts, but I'm pretty sure he said that just makes me laugh.
It was reassuring in a sense, knowing the little things of him.
"(Y/n), food's ready!" Edgar called out. Smiling up at him, I nodded and left with the food.
Pushing past the door, I headed over to Boris.
He had seemed more down then usual. He didn't smile at me as often anymore. Kuba had tried to make him happier, but it never worked from what I could see from the bar.
"Hello boys, how are you doing?" I asked as I set the food in front of Boris and Kuba.
Kuba smiled at me.
"I'm just fine and dandy, (N/n). How are you with that killer of yours?"
A pang of guilt hit me. Kuba was always an overprotective friend that would never let his smile fall. And Boris, as much as I'd like to deny it, was jealous.
"He's not a killer, Kuba. He's a better person than you'll ever amount to. That I swear." I hissed protectively.
Without letting either of the boys respond, I turn to walk away.
From the corner of my eye, I could see Kenny Ackerman, staring at me in awe, with a bundle of daisies.
Oh no... Oh no... He heard me... I didn't say anything bad... or cheesy... right?
""Uh, um.." Kenny cleared his throat, taking a few steps towards me. "I just wanted to come and... console you... on your lose..."
"What?..." I asked. Tilting my head at him, I softly smiled. "I didn't lose anyone..."
"Oh, you didn't hear? You're uncle, he was found beaten to death on some alley. And I know how... close you two were..." Kenny responded.
"I-..." I stutter, pausing. Staring in shock at him, I take a step back.
I never was close to him. I told Kenny that I despised him. His death surprised me, but I didn't need consoling...
"I know it's very shocking, and I'm very sorry for having to tell you like this. I could walk you home." Kenny offered.
That's what his plan was. Time to fake sobbing fit to get out of work!
I walk closer to Kenny and pull him into a hug, forcing tears down my eyes. Taking heavy breaths, I begin to release light noises.
"It's okay kid. Let's go to the back, okay." Kenny offered.
Leading me to the kitchen, he covered my face. Leaning towards my ear he whispers;
"Good job kid, you should join a drama troupe or something."
A small smile was forcing itself out, but instead I released a loud sob to cover it.
"Hey, (N/n), what's wrong? Are you okay? Do you need a break?" Edgar asked as we entered the kitchen.
Shaking my head, I tried to say I was fine, but I let out a fake sob.
"(Y/n) uncle passed away. I didn't realize they didn't know, so I told them , and it crashed down. I'm really sorry," Kenny mumbled.
A smile tried to push out so I buried my head further into Kenny's chest.
"Alright then, (N/n), you can take the rest of the day off. Take it easy, okay?" Edgar reassured, reaching out and awkwardly patting me on the shoulder.
Kenny nodded, turning me away from Edgar and walking towards the back exit.
"Don't forget her coat... and leave the apron..." Edgar mumbled.
Keeping my face turned away from Edgar, I untied my apron, handing it to Kenny. Kenny took my apron and draped my coat across my shoulders before leading me out the door.
As we entered the alley, Kenny started to quietly chuckle.
The smile I tried to repress, was pushed out with a light laugh.
"Wait, we have to leave the alley, he'll hear us," I said holding in my laugh.
Kenny nodded, snorting. Sending me into a quiet fit of laughter.
"What? You think my laugh is funny?" Kenny asked teasingly. Shaking my head, I cough.
"No, not at all," I wheezed out.
"Do you want to fight me kid?" Kenny smiled as we entered the street.
"Noooo. I could never win a fight with Kenny the Ripper," I said, trying to breathe.
"And here I thought I'd sneak you out of work and take you for a nice picnic. Guess that's what I should have expected." Kenny poked at my side.
"You're taking me for a picnic? Where can we have aa picnic?" I asked, grabbing onto his hand and moving closer to him.
Kenny's eyes widened slightly, but softened with a light blush.
"You already forgot about that place I took you to, kid?" Kenny sighed.
Smiling widely at him, I rest my head on his arm.
"How could I forget, Mr. Ackerman?"

A/N: Happy Valentines Day to my weeb friends!! I hope you have a wonderful day!!