chapter nine

The weekend had been more exhausting than anything else. It was Monday again, Kelly was probably more tired than before the weekend had started. Why did Robyn have to drop a bomb on her like that? Couldn't she just have let her be? Happy and...Well okay...Not happy, but certainly not as miserable as she felt now.

Feelings had never been part of the deal. She didn't want them. If possible, she would just lock them away in a box and let it sink to the bottom of the ocean. Why, of all people, did she have to have feelings for one of the few people that were actually out of her reach? Beyoncé Gisselle Knowless-Carter.

Why did Robyn even told her to tell Beyoncé? Why would she want her to make a fool out of herself? This was just one giant mess and she had no idea how to get out of it.

The sight that greeted her when she finally left the elevator once it had reached her floor, didn't really help either. Robyn had her face in her hands while Ciara was softly stroking her hair in a comforting manner.

When Kelly approached them, Robyn looked up with a sad face. "What's wrong?" Kelly wasn't sure if she wanted to hear what Robyn had to say.

"Beyoncé kicked me out of her office."

Kelly closed her eyes, frowning, "Why?"

Robyn sighed, putting her head down again. "It's my fault. I just hope she doesn't fire me."

"Fire you? She can't fire you!" Of course she could, but Kelly refused to it.

"Yeah well...I can't really work at all since my work is inside her office. I think her intentions are pretty obvious."

Kelly felt frustration and anger surge through her. It was exactly those emotions that made her legs move. She didn't even bother knocking when she entered Beyoncé's office.

"You can't fire Robyn."

Beyoncé looked momentarily taken aback, her mouth hanging open for a whole second before she managed to recompose herself. She cleared her throat, "Close the door."

Kelly saw her colleagues stare at her with wide eyes just before she shut the door. "You can't fire her."

"I'm not going to fire her." She looked just as tired and frustrated as Kelly felt.

"Then why is she out there, while her work is in here?"

While Beyoncé was usually pretty patient, today was apparently not a good day for her. She slammed her pen down before standing up, her hands resting on her desk as she leaned over slightly.

"Go away, Kelly. This is absolutely none of your business and you should be glad I won't fire you for having the nerve to come in here and take that tone with me."

Kelly was dumbfounded. In the time she has worked here, including the last months, she had never seen Beyoncé in a state like this. She never lost her cool. Yet here she was, her nostrils flaring with a sudden anger.

"I...I-" She was at a loss for words.

Beyoncé dropped her head, sighing. When she looked up again her eyes were flooded with regret.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say that."

And another first.

"I... It's okay." What was she even supposed to respond? When had things become so awkward between them?. And why couldn't she just contain her stupid heart?.

Beyoncé sat down again, looking down at whatever it was on her desk for a while, before looking up, looking a whole lot more composed. It was incredible how she only needed three seconds to look like nothing has happened. Kelly was sure she would need at least a week herself.