𝟎𝟐. 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐬𝐨 𝐧𝐨𝐫𝐦𝐚𝐥

。・:*:・゚✧ 。・:*: 。

CHASING SPARKS

02. not so normal

゚. : ・*: ✧ 。・:* : ゚

As her first week of Beacon Hills continued on, Eloise realized that perhaps moving to this little Northern California town hadn't been the worst decision her adoptive parents had ever made. She was beginning to understand the natural order and webbing network of the students around her and just where exactly she fit into it.

With Lydia Martin's help, a girl she was beginning to consider a close friend, Eloise had been able to impressively catch up to the current curriculums of her school subjects in only a matter of days. Well most of her school subjects, Chemistry was still a pain in the ass, as she could go barely half a class without Mr. Harris growing on her nerves and completely distracting her from paying attention.

At least she had the boy with the curly blonde hair and blue eyes.

They spoke little past small pleasantries and questions based on course content. But they would silently share knowing glances whenever the teacher would say something incredibly stupid or blank stares when some new form of torturous chemical structure was introduced.

At lunch, she would sit with Lydia and Allison and listen as they discussed outfit preparations for the Winter Formal. Lydia had tried to convince her to go to the formal, but Eloise held firm, insisting that it was too late to buy tickets and she had prior family commitments.

Besides, Eloise didn't dance.

Everything had been going great and if the first week of school was any precursor, Eloise could maybe finish a semester of school without any drama or suspension issues. She just knew she had to be careful getting too close to her new peers, it would lessen the inevitable pain of deception as they lied to her about one thing or another or until her parents decided to uproot and move her entire life again. Although, for once, in the sleepy little town of Beacon Hills, Eloise felt in control and she was growing to love it. She liked to have a plan, to be prepared, to know the proper course of action of the predictable path.

But the night of the Winter Formal, shit hit the fan.

The first real friend Eloise had made was victim to a wild animal attack in the middle of the empty lacrosse field, swiftly ending the dance as she was rushed to the hospital. Eloise had been at home catching up on missed school work when her father returned from a late night of legal proceedings at the Sheriff's station and told her the news.

The following day she had debated going to the hospital to visit Lydia, but in the end, Eloise decided against it. It seemed foolish to go and be among concerned friends and family that had known the hospitalized girl for years when Eloise had only known her for the span of a week and a half. She felt like an imposter in this small town, pretending to fit in, pretending to be like every other student, pretending to be normal.