𝟎𝟖. 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐭 𝐬𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐬

。・:*:・゚✧ 。・:*: 。

CHASING SPARKS

08. street smarts

゚. : ・*: ✧ 。・:* : ゚

The squeak from the rusted hinge of the metal door echoed down the empty hallways as Eloise pushed through the front entrance of the empty high school. Peering down the dimly lit halls, Eloise was quickly beginning to regret her decision to help Stiles find the bestiary. It had seemed like a good idea at the time, an easy way to avoid Matt's intrusive stare from the bleachers and something to do while she waited for Lydia to join her. Although that had been before she realized how creepy the abandoned school was after dark.

The rubber soles of her sneakers squeaking against the tiled floor of the empty hallway were the only noise she could hear. It was eerie, to say the least, walking through an empty building meant to house the busy ebb and flow of loud bustling teenagers. The dimmed fluorescent lights cast strange shadows along the edge of the locker lining the walls. Without proper lighting, the far end of the hallway she was walking through disappeared into a shadowy abyss of nothing.

Eloise felt almost relieved when she reached the principal's office, at least with the animated Stiles around, the building wouldn't feel quite so quiet.

The blonde poked her head into the office, the door was swung wide open, but she couldn't see the familiar buzzcut-haired boy rifling through the desk or going through the back cabinets along the wall.

"Stiles?" She whispered out. After a beat of silence with no response, Eloise frowned, giving the office a once more over before slipping back out and into the hallway, scratching her head.

Had she somehow missed Stiles exiting the building as she was entering? Only the main front doors were unlocked at this time of night so she should have passed him. Unless Stiles had yet to make it into the school, somehow getting sidetracked. Or he had instead travelled further into the spooky depths of the quiet school.

With a deep breath, Eloise squared her shoulders back, deciding to travel further into the building in the general direction of her locker. She hadn't had any dinner that evening, something her growling stomach wouldn't let her forget. When her adoptive mother was out of town on campaign runs her father would usually get take out sent straight to his office, often forgetting about food for Eloise altogether. However, she had the foresight to stash a box of granola bars in her locker as an extra stash for herself during school saved for extreme bouts of hunger. At least this expedition wouldn't be completely pointless if she grabbed something to eat first, and who knows, maybe she would stumble across Stiles wandering the halls too.

Eloise made a left at the next corner wandering down the empty corridor. She was approaching the next crossroad of hallways in the twisting maze of cinder block walls and ugly coloured lockers. To the left was the familiar wing of the science classrooms and where her own locker was located. To the right of the t-shaped intersection were the gymnasium facilities, the changing rooms, gym pad, pool, and the weight room. As Eloise made it a priority in life not to run unless she was being chased, she spent very little time down that hallway. At one of her old schools, she was on the swim team, but the blonde doubted she would be in Beacon Hills long enough to join the competitive team next year.