𝟎𝟒. 𝐚 𝐰𝐨𝐥𝐟 𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

。・:*:・゚✧ 。・:*: 。

CHASING SPARKS

04. a wolf loose in the station

゚. : ・*: ✧ 。・:* : ゚

White moonlight from the full moon rising in the cloudless sky lit Eloise's path as she crossed the last road leading to the Sheriff's Station. Despite the fantastical claims she had made to her mother, the fifteen-minute walk had been rather mundane, boring even. The most exciting event of the trek being Eloise clumsily tripping on a pitiful sidewalk edge and nearly falling headfirst into a stop sign, but Eloise doubted her mother would be moved to tears by her trials.

Walking through the scarcely occupied parking lot towards the station's front doors, Eloise pulled out her earphones with one hand and tucked the wires into the back pocket of her dark jeans. The other hand was busy carelessly swinging the tupperware of now practically puréed food.

Eloise gripped the white metal handle on the glass door of the Sheriff Station, pulling the door open. As she stepped inside the fluorescent-lit building, the teen was met in the front entrance with a smell combined of rusted metal, old wood, tangy floor polish, and stale air. Eloise had to stop herself from automatically wrinkling her nose in distaste and focus on ignoring the smell, and the ugly decor, and the yellowed walls. Instead, her eyes narrowed on the receptionist sitting at a desk in front of her.

"Good evening, how can I help?" The young woman behind the counter called over to her, flipping through multiple file folders spread across her desk.

Eloise tried for her friendliest smile as she approached the woman behind the counter. "Hello there," she greeted cheerfully, utilizing the friendly voice she had mastered from working at a mall customer service stand in the last city her family had lived in.

The woman glanced up at her, unimpressed. "Are you here to file a report?" She asked monotonously.

"No, I'm actually here to see David Howard? He's the new civil procedure something or other, I don't really know what he actually does." Eloise explained, perhaps rambling on for a bit longer than necessary. She lifted the black container of mashed food as if it would explain everything, "I've brought him some dinner from home, I'm his... uh, daughter."

The officer raised an eyebrow, her expression behind the desk turning from bored to sour. "You're Howard's kid?

"Yes Ma'am."

The woman leaned forward and lowered her voice. "You know, since getting here, your father has been a pain in everyone's ass with the new regulations and citation system he's implemented to make the station 'run more effective'. Also, he's got an entitled attitude, thinks he's better than the rest of us working grunts."