Chapter 18 Part 3

⚠️ ᴛʜɪꜱ ᴘᴀʀᴛ ᴄᴏɴᴛᴀɪɴꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ꜰᴏʟʟᴏᴡɪɴɢ ᴛʀɪɢɢᴇʀ ᴡᴀʀɴɪɴɢꜱ: ᴄʜɪʟᴅ ᴀʙᴜꜱᴇ

With it ending up being around 7:00, Rita gives us an adorable proposal for us to stay here in her guest bedroom tonight . Considering how late it is and how comfortable we are, us two angels figure settling down here wouldn't be so bad.

While we visit a nearby grocery store for toiletries, I message my uncle and Brittany to let them know about it. I also ask if they can monitor pets that they undoubtedly agree to. And within an hour, Jayden and I are settled into Rita's homey space.

I've curled into a ball and faced away from her, but she caresses my side while leaving small kisses on the nape of my neck. Instead of falling for her invigorating touch though, I lie stiffly for minutes of torture. I frustratedly roll over to glare deep into her eyes and groan, "I can't believe it . . . I can't believe you really hid them from me, Jayden."

"Who?"

"Why are you going to play dumb like this when you know I've seen them . . . ? Or have you forgotten that I was just looking at your photos—"

"Ophelia—"

"This hurts so fucking bad." I fall back down onto the bed, where I burst into tears. "It isn't fair and I'm so sick of it."

"I'm sorry for—"

"You never told me you had a brother or a dog, and you know I love animals." I sniffle. "Rita didn't need to be introduced to me as soon, so I'm not too upset about her—"

She mutters under her breath, "I need you to—"

"And your parents and childhood . . ." I wipe tears away. "You make it a secret when it doesn't need to be. Rita had nothing negative to say about Ray or Theresa. Nothing."

Jayden withstands moments of my sobbing to ask, "Do you want to know the truth, Ophelia Mae? Do you really want to?"

"What truth is there that I don't already know?"

"The truth that contradicts the lies."

"Would you even tell me if I said yes, Jayden?"

She cracks, "It's true my dad was 'admirable' and 'charming' to the world. But behind closed doors, he could've been Satan himself for all Theresa and I knew."

"So that means—"

"Every day I watched him shred her into a shell of a woman. Every day I watched him dim her heart of light to darkness." Jayden says, "Usually his abuse was ordinary punches or slaps or kicks or shoves. But sometimes he got creative and did some disturbing things to shatter us, but mostly me."

"Disturbing things . . . ? Like what, Jay?"

She shrugs. "Well, it satisfied him to just beat Theresa. But he always claimed I was harder to penetrate, and that got to him."

Jayden finally tells me the history of her strange scars. And I'm horrified finding out Ray left them by the wax of Theresa's handmade candles. He'd drag her down into their basement and tie her down to some rickety bed frame. She recalls the darkness and how it gradually became brighter with each candle lit. Ray wouldn't be content with only one. He'd then wait until the waxes were blistering hot before pouring them upon her. She remembers the smirks on his face, his eagerness to hurt her . . .

But this isn't the worst he's done as he completed unnecessary and excruciating surgical procedures on her. Some were painful enough that she'd fall unconscious. Jayden shows me the marks he left as I shudder at how precise his cuts were, despite all the writhing she did.