Chapter 23 Part 1

"ꜱʜᴇ'ꜱ ᴍʏ ʀᴀɪɴ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴇꜱᴇʀᴛ, ꜱʜᴇ'ꜱ ᴍʏ ꜱᴜɴ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ꜱᴛᴏʀᴍ. ꜱʜᴇ'ꜱ ᴍʏ ꜰᴏᴏᴅ ᴡʜᴇɴ ɪ'ᴍ ʜᴜɴɢʀʏ, ꜱʜᴇ'ꜱ ᴍʏ ʀᴏꜱᴇ ᴀᴍᴏɴɢꜱᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʜᴏʀɴꜱ. ꜱʜᴇ'ꜱ ᴍʏ ɢʟᴜᴇ ᴡʜᴇɴ ɪ'ᴍ ʙʀᴏᴋᴇɴ, ꜱʜᴇ'ꜱ ᴍʏ ᴡᴀʀᴍᴛʜ ᴡʜᴇɴ ɪ'ᴍ ᴄᴏʟᴅ."

—ʙᴀʙᴇ ɪ'ᴍ ʏᴏᴜʀꜱ, ᴡʜɪʟᴋ & ᴍɪꜱᴋʏ

"Ophelia Mae." I hear Jayden murmur as she wakes me up, thumbing over my cheek and softly kissing my forehead. It's hard to miss the aroma of countless peony bouquets that've been left all over my bedroom. But I immediately switch my attention to my guardian, who I notice is with watery, doleful eyes.

I sit up right away to ask, "Jay, what's wrong?"

"I'll explain soon . . ." She stands to pick me up and hold in her arms, taking us into my living room that's now filled with more presents for me.

I bubble up seeing my eager cage pets and cat in their new habitats Jayden has just got them. Though I can't help gasping at Abigail, who actually sleeps on her novel tree. For it's a rare instance since she always expressing her hatred for the ones I've bought her. But I'm not surprised, my guardian's a magician at things like this!

"Are they happy, Ophelia?" Jayden drapes a new red cotton blanket around me as I swirl around to kiss her. "I can take that as a yes." She chuckles.

"A definite one!"

"But are you happy?" She frowns. "I need to hear you say it . . . Say it for me so I know."

"I'm happy, Jay. So fucking happy."

Jayden stretches her neck. "There's just been so much bullshit I've shown you lately, and it feels my apologies alone cannot make up for the guilt."

"Babe—"

"Listen to me, Ophelia." She holds my hands.

"I will. But what do you think you did?"

"My tantrum after seeing the Trinity. How I acted like a fool in front of everyone. How I shoved Raj . . . And worst of all," Jayden's lip quivers as she says, "scared you."

"First off, you barely touched Raj, and second, you didn't scare me too bad."

"You were shaking for hours, Ophelia." She murmurs as I remember trying to stifle my jittery feelings.

"Still, Jay. It feels like you're magnifying this a bit—"

"By showing you I'm sorry?"

I shake my head. "I . . . I guess not."

My guardian kisses my cheek and insists, "Open the rest of your gifts now, Cica." She sets one of the many boxes in my hand.

"And all this is my early birthday presents, right? You aren't getting me anymore on Sunday, right?"

She furrows her eyebrows as she smiles. "You know better, Ophelia Mae."

"I do." I playfully roll my eyes and exhale, relaxing with her on my couch.

———————❖———————

Out of everything Jayden gave me this morning, I fell in love with my 60s inspired Valentino dress hardest. But I never got to try it on. For she took me to surprise Raj with a new Lamborghini and Brittany, cases of high-end cosmetics. I enjoyed watching the couple go crazy over what my guardian gave them. But I couldn't stop sabotaging my happiness. I couldn't stop by wondering how Jayden would've reacted if we turned down her presents.