Chapter 17 Part 1

"ʏᴏᴜ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪ ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ ꜱᴇᴇ ᴀɴʏᴛʜɪɴɢ ʙᴜᴛ ʏᴏᴜ."

—ɢᴏᴛᴄʜᴀ, ᴘᴀʀᴋ ᴊɪ-ʜᴏᴏɴ

My Wednesday veterinary class has just been dismissed. So I race out of Green's room for the reptiles I was just with a couple days ago. I need to know what they meant, and since that may take time, I let Jayden know I could be a little late. However, as I'm doors away from the room, I hear whispers and footsteps behind me. I look over my shoulder as three of my classmates, Noah, Todd, and Camila, follow me so closely that if I tripped, we'd all go tumbling down!

Because I don't want to be followed to the vivariums, I stop before it and glance back at my peers. They stop with me when Noah asks, "How do you like class, Ophelia?" He runs his fingers through his long hair.

I slowly turn around to face them. "I actually love it a lot and I'm learning so much." I get excited and hopeful that I'm finally being accepted.

"What else have you cheated your way into?" A smug smile rests on his face, along with Todd and Camila beside him.

Dammit. I knew it was too good to be true. "What do you mean by that?" I press myself against a wall they gradually back me into.

Todd speaks, "Your random, 'midterm' admission?"

"I used to volunteer at an animal shelter . . . I got a lot of my experience from there, and even had some credits transferred here, so I didn't cheat. Patrick approved every bit—"

"Are you sure about that?" Asks Todd.

"I am—"

Camila raises a brow. "So, Jayden Pierce had nothing to do with you being here?"

"She helped me get in but—"

The three break out laughing and snickering at my confession. But I stand before them like a pathetic idiot.

As I casually bring out my phone to text Jayden for her help, Camila quickly snatches it from me. Reaching to try getting it back, she shoves me away as sadness and anger swells inside me. But I only grow red as Noah snarls, "We worked hard to get here. And to see some bitch who thinks they can walk in here like you did pisses us off pretty bad."

"I've worked hard too, I promise—"

"What were your scores on any of the placement tests then?"

What do those have to do about anything?

Todd brags, "I got 1509 on my SAT."

"Well, I scored 1555." Camila adds.

"1578." Smirks Noah. "So, you two can shut the fuck up now, because I win." While his followers grumble at his cockiness, he looks at me again. "What about you, Ophelia? What'd you get, huh?'

I open my mouth to speak, but I have nothing to say, because they've just beat me . . . they beat me long ago.

"And I'm sure you've studied day and night for past exams you've never had to take, right?"

I begin, "That isn't—"

"Just know that because you spent a few hours at some animal shelter doesn't impress us like the professors."

I mumble towards the floor that, "It's obvious."

Noah comes even closer to me, his face almost touching mine. "It's also 'obvious' that you better fucking watch yourself here, bitch." He peers over at his friends and orders, "Let's go, I'm done with wasting time on this dumbass."