Chapter 9 Part 1

"ɪ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ᴏʙꜱᴇꜱꜱᴇᴅ, ɪ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛᴏ ʟɪᴠᴇ ꜰᴏʀ ᴍᴇ. ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ʏᴏᴜ ᴘᴜᴛ ᴍᴇ ʙᴇꜰᴏʀᴇ ᴀʟʟ ᴏᴛʜᴇʀꜱ ᴀᴛ ᴀʟʟ ᴛɪᴍᴇꜱ?"

— ʟᴏʟɪᴛᴀ, ɴᴏ!, ᴅᴜᴏ

I'm woken up by a crashing noise from within my living room at two in the morning. I creep out of bed and inch into the open space to see that a picture framed of me with my uncle and parents has dropped. I put it back on its stand and check on my pets who were sound asleep during its fall. Except for Abigail, of course, since the nighttime is her daytime.

I tease the fluffy loaf about what happened solely for the fact she's the only one awake out here. Plus, it was on a bookshelf. What cats don't like heights? She responds as she jumps from my sofa to her tree tower. "If I wanted to knock something over, it wouldn't have been that, trust me."

"Oh, is that true? Then what would it be?" I chuckle, accepting the only other explanation for the portrait's fall could be the air vent behind it.

"The TV, if I could."

"But why, Gail?" I shake my head and laugh while heading for my other animals.

"So we wouldn't have be tortured with Grease anymore—"

Something else drops to the floor, but this time, near my refrigerator. I swallow over the incident while looking for anything that could've caused it from my position.

More frightened than I was checking out my living room, I'm stiff as a board dragging toward the kitchen. But I soon find a case scarier than before: my copy of the angelic scriptures pierced to the ground by a chef's knife . . . While having to yank the blade out to pick up the holy book, I realize how this doesn't make complete sense. Both items were fairly far from the counter's edge . . . But like the frame in my living room, I'll be naming the culprit as another air duct.

I set them on my table this time instead of the counter like before and return to my pets.

"What was it, Ophy?" Asks Mal.

"Nothing to worry about, guys." I try smiling my fear away as I tell the four, "Just the heater blowing things around. You can all go back to sleep now." But since I can't, I browse the Internet from my computer and visit a favorite website of mine: Cornell University's veterinary page.

I've been saving up money in case I ever attended. But with the money I got from modeling for Jayden, I should have all I need and more for it. All that stands in my way now is my parents and how the spring term has already started. But the thought of it . . . of becoming a student there is euphoric. For I know my mother would be proud I chose the Ivy League university; it was her past school.

Mary majored in physics and contributed to the university in many novel ways. And I know if I mentioned her, the likelihood of me getting accepted would skyrocket. But if the unlikely event of that not happening, I could just tell them about my animal communication. I'm sure they'd take me in right away . . . or send me to a loony bin!

I pet Abigail as she cuddles on my lap, feeling sorry for her. My nerves are making me tremble like an earthquake. But I appreciate her leniency. Apart from being spooked by the bizarreness going on around here, I'm tense as I'm now checking out Jayden's kitten website. It brings both relief and embarrassment seeing the photos she took of me aren't up yet. Because there's no way in hell I'll ever be confident about my looks. I can't imagine what other people would think of me.