Chapter 6 Part 1

"ɪ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ᴅʀᴏᴡɴ ᴍʏꜱᴇʟꜰ ɪɴ ꜱᴏᴍᴇᴏɴᴇ ʟɪᴋᴇ ʏᴏᴜ, ɪ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ᴅɪᴠᴇ ꜱᴏ ᴅᴇᴇᴘ ɪ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏᴜᴛ. ɪ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛ ɪᴛ ᴡᴀꜱ ɪᴍᴘᴏꜱꜱɪʙʟᴇ, ʙᴜᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴍᴀᴋᴇ ɪᴛ ᴘᴏꜱꜱɪʙʟᴇ."

— ɪᴍᴘᴏꜱꜱɪʙʟᴇ, ɴᴏᴛʜɪɴɢ ʙᴜᴛ ᴛʜɪᴇᴠᴇꜱ

I've been attending every ability class I've been enrolled in for a week now. Thus, my uncle is allowing me on my first exorcism raid tonight. Only a minute Principality army will be there, so I'm hoping the fray won't be too overwhelming. In fact, it's one of the smallest ones the guild has had in years. But I'm still wary of participating and possibly getting clobbered by demons!

I walk into my living room ready to leave when I'm caught in the middle of Brittany's primping frenzy. "But I don't understand." Raj shakes his head at the maniacal blonde as he pets and cuddles Abigail. "All you're doing is fighting demons."

"I have to look sexy doing it, though!" Brittany bounces, running into the bathroom with makeup accessories.

"I mean, I guess?" He facepalms himself as we chuckle at her madness, me excited that we're even sharing this moment together. Because although he's pure human, Raj is allowed into the academy without being effaced. It's customary of regmen who found out about an angel's powers before we recruited them.

I've gotten to know him over the past seven days, but never while he's sober. Thus, this is a rare experience! He stands up from my couch and walks over to me as my cage pets pep me up for the raid. "So, are you nervous?"

"Not about getting hurt, since Jayden will protect me. But I am afraid of not doing my best."

"I'm sure you'll do great, Ophy. Don't worry about a thing." Raj smiles as he nudges me. "How're you taking that idiot, anyway?"

"Jayden?"

"So you think she's one too?" He chuckles.

"I honestly think she's amazing—"

"As do most of her girls."

I always forget she's some philanderer; she just doesn't seem 'unrestrained' to me. I mumble, "She's so . . . I don't know . . ." Detached. It hurts having to see Brittany's and Raj's relationship grow. Mine and Jayden's have remained fairly stagnant. But I don't understand why I base ours off theirs: my best friend isn't a seraph and her boy toy isn't her guardian.

"Jayden's one of the most generous people you'll ever meet." Says Raj, scrolling through his phone. "It might not be apparent by how she acts sometimes, though."

"What way?"

"Like a secretive asshole." He rolls his eyes.

"Oh, yeah, I get what you're talking about!" I chuckle. "But you know all her secrets, right?"

"Most of them, I assume. But she knows all of mine for sure. That kid is my best friend for eternity."

I smile at his adorable remark, asking, "What was she like as one, Raj? A kid." He looks in my eyes as I swallow. "You two met in kindergarten. That's what she told me at least."

Raj sighs. "She wasn't like normal kids. She was too busy dealing with shit kids shouldn't have to."

I frown. "Like divorce or . . . ?"

The young man shakes his head, running his fingers through his flawless undercut. "I'm gonna assume you haven't met Theresa yet." He snickers. "You couldn't have . . . You're still here."