Chapter 24 Part 2

It's no doubt Jayden and I made love the moment we were alone, and that was here in her home. We've moved from her studio to play online video games with Raj and Brittany, who're back at the academy. It's no surprise that my best friend and I completely suck! We're constantly killed in Nazi Zombies and feel bad for always having to be revived. Raj, however, jokes about our downfalls while saving us, as does Jayden. But she's with no lightheartedness.

However, it isn't random; she's been distant since getting here and even during our sex. She gave me her affection but minimal eye contact, something she knows I need to feel satisfied. I was grateful as she held me afterwards, though . . . but in a painful silence and no explanation for it. I laid there dying to ask her about what was wrong, but of course I was too nervous to. So instead, I sat as her rock: the best thing I could offer.

Call of Duty has been a misadventure for us, so Raj suggests we all play something less complicated. And Minecraft turns out to be that game. It's indeed easier, but there's no way he could've expected us noobs to still get the hang of it! Brittany and I end up voice chatting most of the time, leaving the gamers to be immersed in their fun.

I watch Jayden's expressionless face as I sit with my legs over her lap. I'm hoping she's just happy I'm doing something with her she loves. She told me awhile back that video games were an escape for her. An escape for when she couldn't get away from her psychotic parents, be with Raj, or work with Lawrence. No matter what, I'm still striving to be the best she's ever had. Has any other girl sat down with her and did what I'm doing . . . ?

With hours having passed, I stand up and stretch out when Jayden urgently rises with me. Her eyes wide as she asks, "Where are you going, Ophelia Mae? You aren't leaving me, are you?"

I giggle, shaking my head as I kiss her. "No, babe." Sitting her back down, I say, "I'm gonna grab a drink. Did you need anything?"

She mutters, "You."

I reach down and embrace her again. "Besides that, Jay."

"You to never leave me."

"I don't see that ever happening, baby . . . I really don't." I smile. But my guardian refuses to brighten up. So, I kiss her once more before leaving. "I'll be right back."

I skip into Jayden's kitchen and take a can of mango flavored La Croix from her refrigerator. Breaking it open and sipping it down, I go to shut the door when Theresa sits on the counter behind it with a hard smirk . . . My shaky hands cause me to drop my drink as I cower in a corner of the room. "How'd you—this is—you're not supposed to—"

Theresa asks askance, "You're surprised, Ophelia. Why's that?"

"Because you're here—"

"In my daughter's home?" She slyly smiles. "Yes. Yes, that's correct."

I stammer, "But she doesn't want you here, she—"

"Did she say those exact words?" Theresa slithers towards me.

"No . . . But it's more than obvious." I lick my lips. "W-why are you here—"

"To talk with you, Ms. Seraph."

"About what? What do you want from me . . . ?"

"You know what we want—"

"I can't do it, Theresa . . . I can't ever do it. I can't make her leave me and I don't want her to." She snickers to herself as I murmur, "But how could you hurt her the way you did? After your husband hurt her, how could you do the same?"

"Judge all you want, Hun, but it was a way we coped." She smirks. "Also, my affection was never harmful to her, so I'm terribly confused of which 'hurt' you speak of."