Chapter 21: Petty

* IMPORTANT AUTHOR NOTE AT THE END *

You opened the door only to find Erwin sitting upright in bed, with Commander Pyxis and Levi sitting on either side of him. He looked pale, sickly almost. "(Y/n) come join us." He said softly, and you walked over to the chair between him and Levi. "You gave us quite a scare there." He smiled at you.

"I gave you a scare? I watched your arm get torn off by a titan." You scoffed, and he laughed back, holding on to where his arm was cut off.

"Thank you by the way." He said more seriously. "For saving me."

"Don't mention it." You leaned back in your chair, acting like it was no big deal. You didn't notice until your back hit the chair that Levi's arm was resting on it. You felt his thumb graze your shoulder lightly. Brushing you, putting you at ease.

He knew you were just acting as if it was no big deal what had happened, but he knew deep down you were truly scared during that expedition.

"I heard what you did." Erwin started, cracking his neck a bit. "I told you, you were captain material." And you laughed through your nose, but you started to shake again as all those thoughts you had before thinking you were dying came flooding back.

You felt Levi adjust as he sat himself in a better position so his whole hand could grip your shoulder, helping you relax as he stroked you. "Maybe we should change the subject." Levi said, sternly, more of an order than a suggestion. Both Erwin and Pyxis looked up at you and saw how pale you turned, realizing the slight trauma you had.

Erwin cleared his throat and his flat mouth turned up right, "well what was the first thing you did when you finally made it back?"

You rolled your eyes.

Why is it everyone seems to be interested in what you were doing last night?!

Before you could come up with a lie, all of your attention turned to the knock at the door.
"It's Hanjie." Levi said, turning to Erwin. "Come in."

She opened the door and apologized for the interruption. You smiled as you saw Connie sneak by from behind and he gave you a tight smile.

You turned as Hanjie paused, her eyes locked on Levi and you saw him frown at her. She put her fist to her chest right away. "I'm glad we came while you're here, Commander Pyxis." She finally removed her fist. "This is-"

"Scout from the 104th. Connie Springer."

"Connie's from Ragako Village." You noticed Pyxis straighten in his seat.

"The village where the recent titan invasion came from?" He asked with concern.

"Yes."

Hanjie began to talk about their investigation and hypothesis, but your eyes locked on Connie as they spoke. His fist still to his chest, his eyes wide open... he was completely zoned out, in deep thought or something.

You finally listened back into what was being said, and you missed a lot more than you thought. "The titans responsible for the attack... were the citizens of Ragako?" Erwin stated, all of your eyes locked on the two. "In other words, the true identity of titans... is humans?" Your eyes widened.

Human... you were killing humans this whole time?

"We... don't have proof yet." Hanjie stated, but by her face, you could tell she believed so.

"So...you're telling me... I've spent all this time and energy running around killing people?" Levi asked, his arm still draped around you, and you could feel his grip tighten a bit. "Is that right?" He added.