the next step

"Vansh." Riddhima gently raked her nails across his forearm.

"Hmm." He sleepily responded.

"Hum kab tak yahan rahenge?" She asked.

It had been hours since they had been lying in bed, curled up in each other's arms. Riddhima's thick pink terry bathrobe had been pushed down to cover her legs so that she didn't feel too worried about leaking onto the bed or onto her husband. Vansh too, had stripped himself of his shirt and settled on pressing his naked chest against her back. It had surprised Riddhima at first considering how he had always made sure to keep himself fully covered. But she liked this change immensely. The skin on skin contact calmed and soothed her. Most importantly, it made her feel warm and loved. Having someone to hold her, have their chests rise and fall as one - it made her feel protected.

"Tum kaho toh forever." He nuzzled the back of her head and Riddhima gave a light chuckle.

"I don't mean here in bed silly. I meant here at this place. Hum kab tak yahan rahenge?"

"Why? Do you not like it here?"

Riddhima shrugged. "I don't know. Jab pehle yahan aayi thi woh ghar wali feeling nahi aayi. Thanda sa, akela sa lag raha tha."

Vansh squeezed her. "I'm so sorry Riddhima. I would have returned sooner."

"Were you mad at me?" She quietly asked.

"Why would I be mad at you?"

Riddhima glanced back at him over her shoulder. "I was spying on you. I was in love with Kabir, your worst enemy."

Vansh kissed her. "Now you're my wife, and you love me."

Riddhima turned around so that she was fully facing him. "I thought you hated me."

Vansh ran a gentle hand over the side of her head. "Riddhima, I can never hate you. Not after what we went through." He pressed a reassuring kiss on her forehead. He clasped his hand with hers, and released a deep breath. "When you told me everything, mujhe bahut gussa aaya tha, but not on you."

"Toh phir?"

"Anupriya." Vansh answered, grinding his teeth. "I figured out that she was the one who hurt you, and there's only one reason why she would do that."

Riddhima paled in color as realization dawned upon her. "Oh Vansh!" She scooted herself forward and hugged him tightly. "I'm so sorry."

Vansh hugged her back. "Tumhari galti thodi na thi Riddhima. Meri thi. I'm the one who failed to recognize her all these years. Maafi toh mujhe maang ni chahiye. Tumne toh mujhe warn karne ki koshish bhi ki thi. Meine hi sun ne se inkaar kar diya tha. If I had just listened, phir tumhare saath..."

Riddhima looked up at him and cupped his cheek. She soothingly rubbed her thumb over it. "You didn't know."

"But I should have." He insisted. "I should have listened to you. Trusted you. Or at the very least looked into her."

Riddhima sighed and hugged him back. "Ab yeh sab soch kar kya fayda Vansh. Jo hona tha ho gaya."

"Do you forgive me?"

She planted kisses against his chest as her response.

"Riddhima." He moaned, shifting in his spot.

"Hmm?" She laid more kisses.

"You're being an absolute tease right now."

"Acha? Mujhe itna satane ke liye I think this is okay." She commented, grazing his nipple with her teeth.