32. Gay-curious and The Virgin

Song of the chapter is No Matter What by Calcum Scott

-32-
-Ahaan Jaiswal-
-Present-

-32--Ahaan Jaiswal--Present-

______________

Delmore High
1 December, 2019
4:15 pm

Pushing past me, Zoya entered the surveillance room. I followed, closing the door behind us with a click.

I went and stood next to her as she appraised the multitude of computer screens before us, showcasing different areas of the school. I glanced at her, looking at the glow of the blue light gracing her features. She brought a hand to her chin and hummed thoughtfully.

" We don't have much time , Zoya." I said hurriedly.

" I know, dingleberry." She responded.

I turned my gaze and focussed on the task at hand, observing the grainy shots of the school building. The school looked virtually empty and I was grateful for that. But still, I can't help but feel paranoid. Creeping back over to the door, I twisted the lock, breathing deeply once I was sure that nobody could come in.

Zoya took a step closer to the screen before slowly raising her hand and pointing at one in particular, " That'll be the one."

It was a shot of the back entrance of the school, where no activity was happening. It gave a view of the edge of the cemented parking lot,the looming Wentworth forest behind it , looking like a dark entity. The camera's night vision made it look way more creepier than it actually was.

Zoya sat down in one of the swivel chairs, in front of the keyboard, and I tentatively took the seat next to her, feeling my palms beginning to sweat. Swallowing, I focused my gaze on the monitors, trying to help instead of being a distraction.

" What do we do now?" She asked in a small face, looking at me.

" We need to find the code." I gulped and rubbed my forehead.
" There should be a copy in the filing cabinet. See if you can find anything in there."

She stood, locating the file cabinet at the corner of the room.
As she went off to look for the code, I scanned my eyes on the screens again. A chill ran down my spine thinking about the night that it all went wrong. What if we hadn't planned that night? What if we hadn't played that stupid game? What if we hadn't been drunk and passed out? What if Avinash had never suggested to break into the school at night?

Would she still be alive?

" Hey," Zoya suddenly chimed , turning to look at me. I glanced up from my spot across the room. " Do you think this is it?" She asked.