Chapter 8

CHAPTER 8

MAKAYLA

We sat around the beach talking and laughing underneath jackets and the blankets from the boots in Xavier and Zachary's cars. We found out later that Sam had snuck a few blocks of chocolate in the shopping trolley earlier and we had begun eating that as soon as we'd finished our sausages that Xavier had smartly thought of for dinner.

"You're stupid! The bombers are the best!" Sam cried from his seat underneath Arraine.

"How?! They suck!" Zachary cried. "Hawthorn, that's the best team."

The boys were fighting over football and the girls were talking about the boys in their own little world that they didn't exist in. They had no idea what was going on.

I rested my head on Xavier's shoulder and looked up at him to see him smiling down at me. He's the only one that knows what's happening and he's doing a good job at making an effort not to listen, or at least pretend not to.

"I like that one." Olivia said pointing at Damon.

"Me too," Rose agreed. "He seems so nice."

Damon turned towards us, winked and went back to the conversation. "I think you guys all suck!" He cried. "I agree with Sam over there."

Sam nodded. "Exactly."

We all burst into laughter, Xavier too and the rest of the boys looked at us to see what was so funny which only made us giggle more.

"What?" Zachary asked blankly.

"You guys are obsessed!" Avery shrieked.

"And you're not? What are you girls talking about, shopping and makeup?" Sam asked raising his eyebrows.

"No actually, we're not." Arraine said strongly.

"What are you talking about then?" Damon raised his eyebrows knowing damn well we were talking about them.

"Girl stuff." Lucy covered lamely.

Arrainne stepped in; she was the best liar I'd ever known. "I was telling them about how I want to change my belly button ring to a purple colour." She shrugged. "Not that important really."

Sam laughed. "That sounds about right."

For the rest of the night we all talked together. Not about football and not about boys. By three o clock half of us were asleep. It was only me, Xavier, Arraine, Damon and Rose.

"Geez tonight was so much fun. I can't wait till you come back with all of your friends." Rose sighed. "I don't want you to leave yet."

"Hey chillax." I replied. "You'll be over in Canberra before you know it. My birthday's coming up soon and Dad promised he was going to be there to see you all."

"Oh come on Makayla, it's two weeks away. We have to plan it first." Arraine cried. "What are we going to do?"

"I seriously have no idea. But it's my sweet sixteen; I'm going to put your party planning skills to test." I laughed.

"Do I get to help?" Xavier asked talking for the first time in a while.

"Are you seriously asking me that?" I wondered.

"Oh, sorry I didn't mean to get in the way." Xavier teased.

"What about me?" Asked Damon smiling at me with devotion in his eyes. "I'm helping; I don't care what you say."

"Fine, the more the merrier. This is going to be awesome! I can't wait."

***

When I got home I went straight to bed and fell into a deep and dark sleep.