Chapter 4

CHAPTER 4

XAVIER

I climbed off the plane with Chris and Damon and we made our way to the taxi that was waiting for us. A wolf free two weeks with my two best friends. It sounded good. I gave the taxi driver the address of the hotel we were staying in and we drove in silence.

Damon chucked his bag onto the bed in our new bedroom. "I can't believe Paul gave you permission and booked this place for us."

"I know isn't it amazing?" I agreed.

"Anyway, back to our purpose for being here. The girl, where do we find her?" Chris asked.

"The first place I'd look is the beach." Damon suggested.

I nodded. "Let's go."

"Hey, I'm staying here. You can't drag me to the beach with you. I'm not going." Chris argued.

"Whatever, it's your loss. I'm going to borrow a board and a wetsuit." I told them running out the door.

Neither of them followed so I assumed they weren't coming. I borrowed a wetsuit and a board from the surf shop in the lobby and walked down to seven mile beach.

It was beautiful. I couldn't believe I was actually here. I jogged onto the sand and noticed a few familiar faces. Her friends. I knew she was here, I could feel it but where I didn't know. I ran out into the ocean and skimmed along the surface with my board.

I sat out there for a while just waiting for a wave to come. I was also watching the other surfers, searching for her. There she was sitting with another boy I didn't recognize. Her boyfriend? Cousin? All I knew is that he wasn't going to ruin my human time with her.

The next thing I knew I was being washed underneath the wave I was supposed to ride. Feeling like a complete idiot I rose to the surface and checked to see if it had caught her too. She was laughing at something. Probably me, what did it matter? I smiled at the sight of it and sighed, she was just so dang gorgeous. It hurt.

"Are you okay, Dude?" A voice asked from behind me. "I thought you said you could surf?"

I climbed onto my board and stared at Damon. "I thought you weren't coming?"

"I wasn't but, I thought I might as well. I mean we're at the beach. Why not?" He chuckled and shook his head.

"Whatever." I sighed then whispered. "That's her."

"She's as beautiful as you told us." He exclaimed staring at her in a way that I didn’t exactly like.

I ignored it. "I know, shut up. Where's Chris?" I asked curiously. "Did he come too?"

"Yeah, I convinced him. He's over there with them making a fool of himself." He told me. One of the good things about being a werewolf was our strong senses. We could see ten times farther than your average human and hear anything said in kilometers radiance. It wasn't all good though, some things you really don't want to hear.

"Oh well, you can go now. I'm going to surf some more." I said, paddling away.

"Bye!" He called after me.

The second he was on the beach an opportunity to surf came along. I paddled up to the opening and stood up, skimming along the surface with bent knees trying to show off in front of my girl. I fell off toward the end and won an approving smile from her.

"See if you can beat that, Zach!" She called over the sound of my wave crashing.

"Watch and learn, Kayla. Watch and learn." Maybe they were dating after all I mean they looked pretty close.