48. Uninvited

"Open the Portal now!" Raja's voice thundered, echoing through the chamber with a raw intensity Paulo had never heard before. The urgency in Raja's usually calm demeanor sent a chill down Paulo's spine; something catastrophic must have happened to Theo. Without Theo, their anchor, the portal's stability was at grave risk. Desperation surged through Paulo as he channeled every ounce of his power into the portal, feeling the Elementals respond with feverish haste. It had to be enough.

With a soft pop, the final brick settled into place, and the door swung open, revealing the scene on the other side. Paulo's heart sank as he saw Prince Theo's limp form draped over Dietrich's shoulder, followed by a more petite figure carrying another motionless body. A wave of horror crashed over him, nearly paralyzing him.

Breaking free from the arms that restrained him, Paulo sprinted through the portal, desperation fueling his every step. He skidded to a halt before his nephew, his breath hitching as he took in the sight.

"He lives," Dietrich said gently, his voice contrasting Paulo's turmoil. The kindness in Dietrich's eyes only deepened Paulo's sense of unworthiness. "As does Rosemund. Master Persephone pulled her from the boat before Lukas massacred everyone."

Paulo's eyes flicked to the lifeless form in the smaller figure's arms, then beyond to see if Persephone would follow. He knew she would be able to answer his questions. Persephone shook her head and lifted into the Air, her role in the Kingdom not yet completed. He would have to wait until she returned by Air. But he suspected the truth as he looked around at the crumpled figures littering the harbor, and his relief at Theo and Rosamund's survival was tempered by the grief and guilt that threatened to overwhelm him.

"Lukas?" Raja asked, his voice startling Paulo out of his painful contemplation. That the Tribesman had so quickly followed him through the portal surprised him, though perhaps it shouldn't have.

"The man is a terror. I would hate to be his enemy," Dietrich responded to Paulo as he handed the rest of Theodore's weight to him and gave the Tribesman a wary glance.

"Yes," Paulo agreed with a murmur, his attention fixed on Theodore's lifeless form. Only the shallow lift and fall of his chest gave any indication of life. He shifted his lover in his arms and turned to step back through the portal. They had to return before Theodore could no longer anchor the portal. Already, it weakened, and the bricks began to crack.

"Can you return with me to explain what happened?" Paulo asked his nephew, his eyes never leaving the burden in his arms.

"I believe I will have to. I require healing myself." Only then did Paulo glance at the wound on his nephew's leg.

"Of course, Leena will heal you immediately." His sister stood just on the other side of the portal. Her form waved in as the portal shifted and adjusted.

"You must heal Theo. He is more gravely injured," Dietrich protested.

"And Rosemund?" Paulo ushered the young man with

"I cannot say. The Priestess is not bleeding but has not moved since Persephone handed her to my apprentice." Dietrich focused on the figure just next to Leena beyond the portal.

"Go to your mother. Leena will help you. We have others who can deal with Theodore and Rosemund."

"Others?" Dietrich murmured but did not pursue it as they finally entered the Fire Room. Agnes gasped at the sight of her son and his companions, and Dietrich could no longer focus on anything but his mother. It was easy to forget that The Master could also heal. He rarely gave that much of himself, especially when Leena was near. But this time, it would take all of them.