For Those Who Don't Know...

So, if you don't already know what's going on, I'm here to tell you.

Before I moved to Florida, I never really experienced racism since I was born in a very diverse city in California. The area I was from was full of white people, black people, Hispanic people, Asian people. So, I never really experienced racism living in California. The closest thing to racism that I experienced when I lived there was a kid from my old middle school called me a "Chinese dog eater." The school immediately took care of that situation, and I went on with my life.

When I moved to Florida, that changed, drastically. There are times when my family and I would go to the store or a restaurant, and we'd speak to each other in Vietnamese, and someone would come up to us and say, "This is America. It's disrespectful if you don't speak English in public." When COVID first became known in the US, someone at the high school I graduated from came up to me and said, "It's your fault. You brought the virus here."

The reason why I'm saying this is there has been a 1900% increase in hate-crimes towards the Asian community since COVID. There have been hate crimes reported in 47 states, including D.C.

An 84 yr old Thai man from the Bay Area was assaulted and murdered.

An Asian owned business at Columbia Mall was vandalized.

An elderly Asian woman from Queens was called racial slurs and attacked (she later needed 5-10 stitches).

A 19 year old Asian male with mental illness was shot by deputies, even though he had his hands up.

And the list goes on.

The Asian community was given the "model minority" stereotype, meaning we are expected to keep our heads down, stay out of trouble, and stay silent about things that happen to us. We are here to break this stereotype.

So, since the media won't make people aware, then I will. Help my community fight against the anti Asian racism. Help us make our voices heard.

I'm asking you to share posts on social media, share this update if you can. Don't be silent about this.

Help us speak up about these crimes. Help us fight for justice for our elders and our community.