Chapter Four- A Night at the Diner

Melanie:

It was a few hours after the shift started, 5:30 PM to be exact. The diner was playing the Suns' game against the Warriors to attract a crowd. Unfortunately, it wasn't working since the Suns weren't playing their best today. And the waiters and waitresses were sweating their butts off because of the heat wave but were relieved when the diner wasn't as packed as expected.

Melanie was giving a family their food as she smiles sweetly. "Enjoy, you guys," she says as they thank her, and she walks away. She goes to clean a table and picks up the tip for her that they left. "Thanks for coming, you guys!" she says as the people who were at the table were leaving. They wave back at her as they walk out.

She finishes up cleaning the table and walks over to the bar. She was cashing in her tips when Maddie rushingly comes up to her. "Is everything okay, Maddie?" she asks.

Maddie takes a deep breath. "I need you to cover my shift tonight," she quickly says.

Melanie looks at her with shock. "What, why?" she asks. She's never covered anyone's shift before. "That would mean I have to work overtime."

Maddie feels guilty. "I'm sorry," she says. "But the really hot guy in my building offered to take me out tonight and ONLY tonight."

Melanie sighs, not wanting to get into the way of her friend's relationship. Plus, at least she knows someone who's getting some action. She nods. "Alright," she says. "Go have fun tonight." Melanie knows she shouldn't be doing this to herself, but it's the least she could do with what her friends are for her.

Maddie smiles at her and gives her a hug. "Oh, thank you," she says. Melanie laughs a little and hugs her back. Maddie pulls away from her. "I really owe you."

Melanie smiles at her. "It's no problem," she says. "It's the least I could do after what you and Rachel are doing for me."

Maddie smiles in realization. "Oh, that's right. How's that going so far?"

Melanie sighs in embarrassment. "Horrible. Every time a cute guy comes in, they're either taken or married with kids."

Maddie chuckles at her friend's struggle. "Oh, I'm sorry, baby." She rubs her shoulder. The two girls wave at the waiters leaving for the night as their shifts have ended.

Melanie sighs, mostly from exhaustion. "It's okay. There are plenty of fish in the sea." She smiles. Then she realizes something. "Hey, didn't we promise Rachel we'd hang out for free slushy night?"

Maddie waves her hand. "Oh, I already told Rachel about my plans tonight, and she said she got invited to a party tonight anyways."

Melanie feels embarrassed. "Great, so everyone has plans but me."

Maddie comforts her. "I'm sorry, but trust me, you'll be okay." Melanie smiles at her. "And I promise we'll make up for it tomorrow night since all three of us have the day off."

Melanie smiles at her friend's words. "Thank you, Mads." They hug it out.

Maddie checks the time as another customer walks in. "I gotta get home and get ready." Melanie nods understandingly.

They hug once again. "Have fun tonight. Give me all the details tomorrow."

"Will do." They say bye one last time before Maddie heads to the back to change, and Melanie goes to take care of the customer that had just walked in.

Devin:

It was now almost the end of third quarter, and the Warriors had a strong lead, the score being 98-87. Devin was playing harder than ever. Currently, he was guarding Jordan Poole. D'angelo passes the ball to Jordan. He fakes a left and goes right quickly after. Jordan goes to make the three, completing the third quarter. Devin throws his head back in frustration, upset at the fact he couldn't guard Jordan better.