Chapter Twenty-nine--Early Thanksgiving

It was now exactly one week before Thanksgiving and three days before Devin and Melanie are on the plane to Miami. That also meant Devin's family was coming over, meaning his mom, Davon (and his girlfriend), and Mya. Even Schneider and Avery were coming over.

Melanie and Devin actually volunteered to make dinner. Melanie was actually using her mom's recipe for homemade Wontons as the appetizers and her mom's seasoning to smoke a brisket, which she had Devin watching (he had no choice). Melanie was already up since she was up all night planning Schneider and Avery's gender reveal party, so all she had to do was wake up Devin to make sure the brisket had the smokey flavor it needed and so that Melanie can get started on everything she needed to make.

It was now 11:00 AM. Melanie was currently making the filling for the wontons, and Devin was outside with the brisket in the smoker. Someone then busts through the door, and she takes that as a sign that Schneider was here. She smiles at him once he turns into the kitchen. "Hey, Schneider," she says.

Schneider smiles back at her. "Hey, Milly," he says. 'Milly' was a nickname Schneider gave her. Why? No one knows. He holds up the two cups before putting them on the counter. "I went out to get you and Devin some coffee. I smelled the brisket from next door at like 6AM and figured you guys needed some energy."

Melanie smiles at him. "Thanks, Schneider. That's so thoughtful of you." Schneider was completely clueless and a trust-fund man child, but he was very thoughtful, and everyone appreciated him for that. She takes a cup and takes a sip. "You wanna hang around for a bit? I think Devin needs some company." They look to the backdoor to see Devin sitting on a chair in their outdoor kitchen area with Bruno laying at his feet. The poor guy was almost half asleep.

Schneider feels bad. "Yeah, I'll stay for a bit. Avery needs some space, anyway."

Melanie looks at him in concern. "Are you guys fighting?" She takes the other cup to give to Devin, and they start walking to the backdoor.

Schneider shakes his head. "No, we're good. She just likes cooking in peace, and her mood swings are all over the place." Avery was four months pregnant, and mood swings and cravings were going crazy.

She looks at him and nods, understanding what he means. She shrugs before making a sarcastic comment. "I don't blame her." She smirks as he gives her a dirty look. "I'm kidding." They reach the backdoor, and she slightly slide the door open. She puts the cup on the table and goes to get Devin's attention by shaking his shoulder. "Babe."

Devin lets out a little snore before he shoots his head up and looks at her. "Huh?"

Melanie chuckles at him. "Schneider's here to hang out for a bit, and he brought coffee." She points at the table.

Devin gets up and bro-hugs Schneider. "What's up, man?" He pats his back before pulling away. "Thanks for coffee."

Schneider waves him off. "Eh, it was no biggie. I figured you guys needed the energy since you woke up pretty early."

Melanie gives them their space and walks back into the house to finish making the wontons. Once she gets the wrappers and egg wash ready, the doorbell rings. She goes to open the door to reveal Davon and Elle. She smiles at them. "Hey," she says, excitedly.

They smile back at her. "Hi," they reply with the same amount of excitement.

Melanie hugs Davon first before hugging Elle. "C'mon in, guys." They walk in, and she closes the door. "Devin and Schneider are out in the back."

Davon looks confused, and so does Elle. "Why are they in the back?" he asks.

Melanie chuckles at their confusion. "Don't worry, it's nothing bad. I have Devin watching the brisket we're smoking, and Schneider just came over to give him some company."