Chapter 3

Ryan stood up and looked at his brother curiously, "What's with the sudden change of heart? Only a few minutes ago you thought she was going to kill us now you're going to remember her?"

Peter shook his head slightly, "Everyone needs someone or something to fight for, without that, we're just empty shells. Crimson just chose to fight for the only family she ever knew. I'm not saying I'm okay with all this," Peter gestured to the carnage around him, "In fact I'm far from okay with any of it and I'm not saying I trust her fully but Crimson," His eyes locked with hers, "You're the last hope we have of staying alive and for that, I'll remember you."

Crimson smiled at him, "Thanks. I'll make sure you live long enough to honor that promise." Crimson glanced behind her, "We need to move. The agency will be checking up on the progress any minute now."

Crimson threw a rucksack over each shoulder and carried two others in each hand. Ryan and Peter gathered up the rest of the rucksacks and followed Crimson into her room..

Once everyone was up, Crimson pushed bed down so to cover the entrance.

"You two go ahead and wait in the lift. I have something I need to do."

The boys exchanged a confused look before Ryan shrugged and turned to leave the room followed by Peter.

Crimson walked to the plain, carved bed stand by the side of her bed. She pulled open the drawer and lifted the only one of her possessions she cared about into her hands.

Crimson rubbed her thumb across the corner of the brown paper that protected the picture frame inside.

"Hey Crimson." Ryan called from the living room, "Are you alright in there?"

Crimson slipped the package into the front pocket of her bag and grabbed a hoodie and a pair of jeans out of a drawer.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Let's go." Crimson strode out the door and into the lift without sparing either of the twins a glance.

The lift descended painfully slowly as an awkward silence made the air around them feel heavy.

The instant the doors slid open Crimson knew something was wrong. No one was in the lobby of the building, not even Mr Croker was standing in the corner as he always was at this time.

"Stay here." Crimson whispered as her hand wrapped around a small knife.

Silently, Crimson stepped out so she was standing in the middle of the large room.

Her eyes scanned the room, her fingers tightening around the shaft of the knife.

Four. Three. Two. One.

Crimson spun, her knife extended in front of her and she caught a man in a black suit across the face. He didn't even flinch. With a sharp sweep, Crimson slashed the man's throat open. Blood caused her hair to stick together in clumps.

A bang sounded from somewhere nearby as pain shot through her right arm. Red liquid gushed off her fingers and collected in a puddle around feet.

Anger rose within Crimson's chest and with a movement as quick and fluid as a cobra strike, she sent small, silver flying through the air.

The armed man fell to the ground, a knife extruding from his chest.

"We need to get out of here." Crimson motioned to the boys as she ran across the room towards the doors, "You two stay here until I say it's safe."

Crimson scanned the rooftops and nearby windows for any signs of Snipers.

A mother was hurrying towards her pushing a baby in a chair, her arms hanging heavy with the weekly shop.