Chapter 9

"They've been gone too long." Peter said to Ryan who was leaning against the alley wall, "What if they've been killed? Or injured? Ryan, it will be our fault."

Ryan sighed, "Relax, Peter. Crimson will be fine. She can look after herself."

Peter kept his eyes fixed on the mouth of the small alley way. He hated to admit, it wasn't Crimson he was worried about. Nao played at his mind constantly. Nao's last words to him repeted through his mind on an infinite loop, I'll always come back for you.

Don't you dare be lying Naoko.

"How are you so calm?" Peter spun on his brother, "Our friends are out there possibly dying so we can be safe. We don't know if they're alright or coming back. What will we do if they don't come back? Has it not crossed your mind that we can't defend ourselves? We've never been on the run or had to hide. We'll end up dead without them."

Ryan crossed his arms over his chest, "I know you like Crimson as more than a friend, Peter. I've been with you through everything I can tell you like her."

Peter bit the inside of his cheek. Did he like Nao? He couldn't. He'd only known him for a day. You can't like someone so fast.

Peter had come to terms with being Gay a long time ago, fourteen to be exact, but he'd never told anyone. Even his own brother didn't know. The prospect of losing Ryan had always stopped him. Peter couldn't face losing the one person who has always been with him.

"That's not what we're talking about." Peter redirected.

"I'll look out for you Peter. I always have done, haven't I, and I always will. We'll be okay."

"But I couldn't live with the guilt. They would have died instead of us. A life for a life. How do you live knowing something like that?" Peter said quietly, more to himself than his brother.

Two figures started down the alley towards them, back lit by a nearby street lamp. Ryan jumped to Peters side and grabbed his arm.

"We need to get out of here." Ryan muttered into Peters ear.

Peter squinted through the darkness at the figures and he felt a rush of relief flood through him as he spotted a flash of blonde hair from the girl.

He pulled his arm free of Ryans grasp and before he knew what he was doing he had ran straight into Nao, wrapping his arms around him. Nao let put a light chuckle and hugged him back and Crimson closed in from the other side to form a group hug.

"Don't worry," Crimson whispered, "I won't tell Ryan."

Peter pulled away as if an electric shock was passed through him. He felt his smile drop from his features in shock.

"I don't know what your talking about." Peter said, holding Crimson's eyes in defiance.

He wasn't ready for people to know. Actually, he wasn't ready for Ryan to know.

"Sure." Crimson said, disbelief in her tone.

"You're safe." Ryan said, giving Peter a weird look, "I'm happy to see you and all but group hug? Really?"

Crimson smiled but threw a look over her shoulder, "We need to get going and we need to be as far away as possible by sunrise." She turned her gaze to the blackened sky, "Looks like we're not getting any sleep tonight."

"We can swap out on driving so we all get some rest." Peter suggested, "I can drive and so can Ryan so we can all take a turn."

Peter watched as Crimson pressed her lips in a line, "We can't drive. They'll be watching for cars. We will be harder to track on foot."