Chapter 17

He'd been staying with Kat for about a week, and he was ready to have his own place. He needed a place he could call his own. And with his desire to create space between the new couple, he created arguments.

Wanting to stay over still while her parents were away didn't offset the awkwardness of dealing with his partner's parents. They had only been back one day, but Giovanni was already over it. It wasn't his idea to move out either. Mr. Drumming suggested it over dinner, mostly because he didn't like how into him his daughter was. He didn't want to see her get hurt again after knowing how hard she handled heartbreak from her first two boyfriends. Gio encouraged the idea of his departure as well. Kat was great, but she could be a tad... overbearing, but Gio would never say it that way.

After missing another game the Turtles loss three days after, Gio was wondering if his career choice was worth it. He wasn't even taken to the game for morale purposes that time, and the Turtles would surely be relegated. Though, they were only eleven points from escaping the relegation zone, so there was yet hope if something clicked.

Coach Jifaar, busy as always, brought in three more players, who would all debut in the next match in seven days. And the season would show a spark of being salvaged with their second win.

Meanwhile, Gio was searching for houses near the training grounds so he could run to work from then on. He was looking within a two mile radius, and there were plenty of options. Kat insisted on going house hunting with him, because she treated their relationship more like a marriage. She was very into sharing everything. If there was one grape left, she'd cut it in half. It was just the type of person she was, and it only slightly bothered Gio.

They were inseparable. They ate breakfast together every morning before Kat went back to sleep, and by the time she was up, Gio was getting off work. Then they'd explore cities all over Hertha together. And they'd end the day with Gio devouring pounds of meat and pasta. Life was good, and nothing seemed to be in their way but the faltering Turtle squad.

They were still in last place, but only two points separated them from the team in seventeenth. They were no longer in absolute last place, and Gio still hadn't played a game weeks later. The board would go to Saleem to ask him why their promising youngster wasn't getting any playtime after a dominant performance his first time out. The selfless player seemed to be a shoe in for game time, especially compared to the rest of the young players who were getting loads of time on the field.

"I'm telling you," Saleem addressed the board, "he's not ready to be a professional. He often comes to practice hungover or even drunk. He needs to grow before he plays. I've asked a couple of the veterans to help guide him, but no one is taking to him."

"Should we sell him?" Aveor Acworth, one of the board members proposed.

"He has undeniable talent. I fear he would be able to harm us on an opposing roster, especially in years to come," Jifaar protected his asset from leaving him so soon. He wanted those crates of spice, and he wasn't gonna let the board stand in his way.

"That doesn't answer the question," Acworth, who would be arrested the next week for owning slaves and lose his job as a board member, forced the question.

"We should keep him."

"He's costing the team a significant amount in ways of salary," Acworth argued, "he's the highest paid player in his age bracket. Surely," the slimy man rubbed his hands together, "surely, there is something we can do about his salary."

"What are you suggesting, Mr. Acworth?" Jifaar asked kindly.

"We loan the boy out to a smaller club who has no choice but to deal with his shenanigans."

"A loan would not work," Saleem argued.

"Why exactly?"

"Gio needs to grow accustomed to our league's playing pace. I wouldn't want to have him getting sloppy. He's already such a good player."

"Something must be done," Acworth stood firm, and the rest of the board members agreed. "Keep in mind, Coach Jifaar, your seat is still rather hot. You haven't escaped the relegation zone yet, and we still aim for a mid pack finish, and that's an adjustment from the beginning of the season. Not to mention, you have failed to win a single point in Galaxy League. Your seat is quite hot indeed."

"Of course, sirs. I understand this season isn't shaping out to be what we anticipated, but we practically started the roster from scratch. None of us knew what to expect."

A few hours later, Viche reached out to Gio.

"Hello, Giovanni. I've noticed you've been sequestered by your coach's selection. I'm here to make a deal much like the last one, because I know you can eventually play again."

Gio got more relaxed in his recliner, "I'm listening."

"I'm willing to offer you half a billion dollars, ten billion crates of spice, and I will murder one person for you. You say who, and I'll have someone take them out. The offer is only valid while I am in charge of the Triwizards, so there is an indefinite amount of time you have to choose."

"Okay, I also want a blaster. I'm too young to buy them for another four years."

"And a blaster," Viche laughed at the ease of acquisition, "do we have a deal?"

"I want to be paid weekly," Gio demanded, "every Dinaliday, you deliver."

"Done," Viche smiled behind the screen.

"Done," Gio confirmed.