C H A P T E R • E I G H T

The silence was deafening as we entered the throne room, about thirty minutes later

The silence was deafening as we entered the throne room, about thirty minutes later. It was almost imperceptible, but I could tell Dream's hands were shaking ever so slightly. My eyes followed him closely as his now ringed fingers ran delicately over the arms of the ornate throne, before finally sinking into the seat. I drew in a breath as he turned to meet my gaze. In his black and green robes, he looked every bit a king.

"Okay," he said at last, emerald eyes flickering over the occupants of the room. George and Bad stood to the right of his throne, whilst Sapnap was with me on the left. Several of our more trusted guards, although notably not the ones who had brought the message for Schlatt, were also in the room. Dream's eyes finally landed on the chief of the army, a stocky, blonde man who George, Sapnap and Bad knew particularly well, having been in training at the same time as him.

"Punz," said Dream. "Would you send someone to fetch Schlatt for me, please. If he doesn't want to come, make him come."

"You might need to send an army," added Sapnap dryly, glancing sideways at Dream, who nodded in agreement.

"An army?" Asked Punz, one eyebrow raised in amusement. "How tough is he?"

"Some of the guards appear to be taking his side," said Dream. "I'm sure you can imagine what his intentions are..."

"I can," said Punz, immediately. "I'll have him brought to you, your highness."

"Thank you," said Dream, leaning back on his throne as Punz departed to fulfil his mission. "Now, where is Callahan?"

"Right here, sir," the young man stepped forward from where he'd been waiting with the guards.

"Callahan, I need to know what the plan is," he said.

"You wish to be coronated, sir?"

Dream raised an eyebrow at him.

"Sitting on the throne didn't clue you in?"

Callahan paled a little, and shook his head.

"Dream!" Bad scolded, immediately. "You're scaring him."

"What?" Dream retorted. "I'm literally just talking, what..."

"Callahan, it's okay," Bad comforted the shorter boy, moving over to put an arm over his shoulders, before throwing a scathing look in Dream's direction. "He's not mad, he just needs to ask you some things."

"No, I'm not mad," Dream agreed. "I want the coronation to be as soon as possible. What needs to be arranged between now and then?"

Sapnap turned to meet my gaze as Dream was speaking, and the two of us shared an amused smile at the proceedings. Bad was as placid as anything until someone he cared about was threatened, and then he didn't mind who he had to go through to rescue them. We'd only witnessed him telling Dream off a handful of times over the course of our friendship, and every time, Dream had sat there and let him.