C H A P T E R • T W E N T Y S I X

The L'Manburg walls were even more impressive up close

The L'Manburg walls were even more impressive up close. The blackstone shon in the late afternoon sun, uneven surfaces reflecting the sunset in jagged rays. The new L'Manburg crest was carved ostentatiously into the walls at intervals, and I wondered at how quickly they had been erected. This was not the past time of someone with nothing better to do than to make a new country. This was the pre-meditated work of determined hands who put their all into what they believed. It was impressive, to say the least, and whatever Wilbur's motives were, his people obviously subscribed to his hype about freedom and justice.

The L'Mantree was an enormous oak tree that had been just outside the valley that was now L'Manburg for my entire life. I didn't understand why they had not built the walls to surround it, lest it be destroyed by the soldiers, but perhaps they thought it would be better protected if it was distanced from the action. The tree had just been a tree, until Wilbur had sat underneath it and come up with the concept of L'Manburg, and now it held sentimental value. I mused over this as I waited below its branches, trident in one hand, and a stash of enderpearls tucked into the pocket of my dark green hoodie. It wasn't smart to make it public knowledge that you had an item of sentimental value during a time of war, and I wondered what Wilbur would do if someone decided to burn the tree to the ground. It was a wonder that the soldiers hadn't taken to it already.

"Alexa!"

Wilbur's stage whisper startled me, and I whipped my head around to see him hurrying through the long grass towards the place where I stood under the tree.

"Wilbur," I nodded to him, holding up a hand to prevent him from coming any closer. "Don't test me."

Wilbur halted, meeting my eyes in nervous anticipation.

"Sorry. I know you don't trust me."

"You're right, I don't trust you."

"So why did you show up alone then?" He wondered. "Wait, don't answer that, I'm just happy you did. I need to talk to you."

I watched him with interest. I'd had no intention of answering the question anyway, acutely aware of the presence of Punz and Sapnap up on the hill, watching our every move. Dream was not with them, having been finally talked out of coming by the combined efforts of Punz and Sap. I could already tell that this was not the same Wilbur who'd spoken so confidently before Dream in the throne room on the day he'd declared independence. I wondered which version of himself was the real one, and which was the act.

"Go on then," I motioned with the blunt end of my trident, seeing he was waiting for a response from me. "Say your piece. I don't have much time."

Wilbur eyed the trident warily, but wisely refrained from mentioning it.

"I need to tell you things about yourself that you don't know," he spoke, his eyes watching me cautiously. "Things about your past."

"What kind of things?" I asked. "What could you possibly know that I don't?"