8

𝒊𝒇 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒎𝒆, 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅'𝒗𝒆 𝒉𝒂𝒅 𝒎𝒆. 𝑩𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒚𝒆𝒅 𝒎𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒕 𝒎𝒆.

whim·si·cal/ˈ(h)wimzik(ə)l/

acting or behaving in a capricious manner.

ATEEZ sat in their dorm living room. It was Friday night, their designated movie night. They'd all been busy lately and came up with the idea of having a night to themselves. Yeosang, Wooyoung, and Jongho were cuddled up on the duvet while Seongwha and Hongjoong were on the beanbag chair leaving San and Mingi and Yunho was on the rocking chair.

They were watching the new Smurfs movie. Mingi had suggested it. Something about the whimsical nature feeling right or something. It felt right. Things had been hard for them but it was times like these that reminded them that they were family. They meant the world to each other.

Yeosang squinted. He shouted across the vast living room to Mingi. Asking if this was the actual movie or something he found on a pirating site. No matter how big they got, their broke habits never left. This was a children's movie, he was sure of it. But it didn't seem like it. The Smurfs in the village had tied up the protagonists and were...? What? They were...burning them?

'What the hell Mingi?' He remembers saying. For some reason, his best friend didn't look disturbed, he looked...giddy almost.

'It's starting then? Fun'

Yeosang had felt confused when he heard his bandmate mutter this to himself. It was at that moment that everything went to...well literal hell.

The tv switched from the turned gruesome Smurfs movie to what seemed like a timer?

'8'

The television had said. Startling 6 of us. We were clueless. Naive. Innocent. He'd wished it'd stayed that way. He would've chosen cluelessness over this. Anything over this.

'7'

It sounded. Jongho was the first to start panicking and the rest of us followed soon after, sensing something was wrong. San tried to turn off the television but jumped back holding his hand like he'd been burned.

'6'

We all turned to Hongjoong. Our beloved leader. He would know what to do. He would help us I mean it was his job. We had always turned to him and Seongwha for advice because they were the parental figures of our group. But Seongwha looked just as disturbed and panicked as the rest of us. And Hongjoong...I'll never forget it. The look of regret and absolute resolute defeat on his face would haunt me in my last moments.

'Why wasn't he doing anything?' I thought. What was happening?

'5'

He turned to us and broke down. Dropping to his knees in despair and choking out desperate apologies. Begging us not to hate him. He tried, he said, he'd tried so hard and it didn't work. I  didn't understand then but I got on my knees and wrapped my arms around him anyways. San and Seongwha followed suit and Yunho and Jongho were still trying to turn off the television. Wooyoung was just...staring into space. I'd thought he has having a panic attack. He'd had those before. I know better now.

'4'

'3'

'2'

'1'

A deafening ring sounded throughout the room and the next thing I knew I was losing consciousness. San screamed and Yunho fainted. Seongwha looked horrified and Hongjoong? Well, he looked resolute. Not sorry but like he'd come to terms with the events that had transpired.

'I was dying.' I thought. This was it for me. I wondered if they would ever find out about my sunshine. I was planning to tell them, I just didn't know-how. They would find out anyway. They had to call them anyway. My sight went black as I took my last breath. This was the end for me. Well, me as I knew it. My mortal death would be the end and the beginning for my former best friends. Everything would be downhill from here.

Join along for the ride will ya?

Sincerely,

#8975