Chapter 2: (part 2)

Jemma Simmons has arrived to the forest, but will she and Fitz hit it off again, or will this be another failure?

I stop, and he sets me down. "Fine. Lead me to Fitz."

He turns and leads me deeper into the forest. I don't know why there are so many trees. Eventually we reach another castle. Ward drops to all fours, and knocks on the door. He gruffly shouts through it, "Fitz, it's Ward!"

"Go away!" Fitz calls back.

"I've got Simmons. I found her by the gate. She doesn't smell like miss Price. I think you should tell her. You are a beast now. Simmons can help." Ward says through the door. "Remember what I told you before? Don't be stupid. And don't worry about your appearance either. You managed to escape looking like a giant, cute puppy dog. Lucky you."

Fitz opens the door. "Jemma!"

If I hadn't heard Ward refer to him as Fitz, I would never have guessed that it was him. Ward's description is very apt. He does look like an oversized puppy dog. His curly reddish hair is now a curly coat of fur. His blue eyes are the same. Unlike Ward, Fitz could pass as something ordinary.

"Fitz" I say with relief.

He grins, but it looks forced. "D-D-Do you want to help me with a-a-a project I'm working on?"

I grin, relieved. "Yes, Fitz. I'd like that very much."

He smiles at me, "Let's go."

Fitz concentrates on his machine. "We have a meeting soon. Ward would have told everyone. You can come if you want."

I smile, "Sure, Fitz. I'd like that.

"Well, time you come to meet my fellow monstrous prison mates." He smiles, before looking around awkwardly. "I think you'll like most of them."

"Are all of them like Ward?" I ask, distaste clear in my voice. "Are all of them evil, despicable hydra agents?"

Fitz shakes his head, "No. You might know some of them. Director Coulson, Dr. Garner, Agent Mackenzie. Me. Then there are a few lowlifes. Ward, and a mercenary called Hunter. There is a doctor called Lincoln, and some kind of 0-8-4 who calls himself Gordon."

"Sounds cool." I grin at him.

His smile falters. "Anyway. I've got a few friends, but most people argue with each other. The strange thing is everyone has an enemy. Ward and Lincoln despise each other, and I don't know why. Dr. Garner thinks Director Coulson is too impulsive, and Coulson thinks Garner is a head shrink. They're both right. Gordon and Mack are also enemies."

I raise my eyebrows. "So you're a bunch of territorial beasts?" Fitz winces at the word 'beast', and I chide myself for using it carelessly. "Except you. You know, you look really cute like this."

He reels back. His voice lowers and it sounds almost like a rough bark, "Uh, I have to get ready. I'll see you when it's time to go."