Chapter 3: (part 2)

Sorry that this is so late! Previously, Ward told Simmons about how Fitz felt, and now we deal with the consequences. (Sorry, that this story is so awkward! It's really old compared to some of my other works.)

I squint at him. Was he in love with Simmons? No, I didn't think so. If he did, he probably wouldn't betray us. "Fine." I whisper, "I'm in love with Simmons. You don't have to do what you did to Rosalind Price."

Ward stiffens, "Do you know what happened to her?"

I shake my head at the same time that Simmons says, "Who was Rosalind Price, and what happened to her?"

Ward inhales sharply. I grab Jemma's arm. That was the one thing Ward never told us about Price. How he dealt with her. I know for a fact that it was Ward. He told us he wanted us to remain pure. Whatever that meant.

Instead of asking, I whisper, "Jem, Price was a woman who came here to gather information and exterminate us. Coulson had taken a fancy to her. Ward ... dealt with her."

Jemma's eyes widen with an emotion I never saw on her face before. "He killed her? Or worse?"

I shrug. "We don't know"

Her voice is choked up with emotion, "He really is a monster"

Ward flinches. He's not the only one. "She should stay. She needs to. For Fitz. I promise I won't kill her."

Coulson nods, "She can stay."

Ward and I sigh in relief. I hear him whisper something in Simmons ear before he leaves. She flushes and her eyes widen. I ask her while we leave, "What did he say?"

"He said ... He said 'I am a monster. And if you break Fitz's heart, I will hunt you down and do to you what I did to poor miss Price.'" She shudders, "Ward was naturally scary, but he has never scared me so much before."

She looks panicked, so I tell her a morbid joke, "Maybe it's the pitch black fur and the wolfish snout. Makes him look werewolf. If you ignore the rest of him." I laugh, trying to hide the fact the Beast-Ward scared me, too.

She smiles, "You're my best friend, you know that right?"

I nod, trying to ignore the pain. "Yes. I know."

Her smile fades, and I can see the moment where she remembers what Ward told her about what I felt. I sigh, and turn away. She sighs, "I don't want things to change. What if it doesn't work out? We could never go back to being friends the same way. It would be awkward!"

"L-l-like it is now?" I ask. "Awkward, I mean."

She nods, "I don't know, Fitz."

Ward bursts through the bush. "Under attack. Fitz, take Simmons away, make sure she is safe. Set the defenses you made."

I nod, "Let's go, Jemma!"

I can feel her panic. She squeaks as I grab her arm and lead her to my home. When she starts to fall behind from my increased stamina and speed, I have her hop on my back. She rides bareback on me the rest of the way.