Chapter 1: (part 1)

Rosalind Price

I walk up the pathway. I knew that beasts were here through rumors and a complex system of spies. Today I was going to figure out their game.

All of this place has suddenly become unpopulated. I couldn't even remember the name of this place myself. I walk towards a castle. A castle in the 21st century? It was more than a little odd.

A beast steps out. I act a little scared, jumping back and gasping. He growls at me. "What are you doing here."

Another beast bounds in from a distance. "Ward! You know that she might be here for a specific one of us. Don't scare her off!"

'Ward' growls, "Why, Fitz? It's not like any of them are here for me. Besides, she doesn't smell right."

'Fitz' scowls, "She smells fine to me. She smells human."

"She smells manipulative." Ward lifts his chin. "Trust me, this is one female we are better off without."

"How can you smell manipulative?" Fitz challenges.

"Fine." Ward growls, "but don't say I didn't warn you."

He turns away, and I finally think again. I had to figure a way to identify them.

Ward had strong muscular limbs. His snout was wolfish, and he had sharp fangs. His eyes were a piercing brown. His ears were more deer like and his tail looked distinctly cat shaped. He has rows of spikes down his back that were lying mostly down when I first saw him, but are now pointing upward in a threatening manner. His black fur makes him look considerably freaky.

Fitz, on the other hand, looks like an oversized dog. His curly reddish-brown hair covers his entire body. He has a short snout, and pricked ears. His tail is dog like. He's panting and drooling like an over enthusiastic puppy.

A few other beasts enter. The one in front says, "Blimey, I never expected anyone to actually come! I wonder who she's here for."

Fitz grins at them, "I know, it's exciting, isn't it, Hunter."

Hunter. What an apt name for a beast. He is very different from Fitz and Ward. He has a cat like face. His horns look devily, and his grin is wolfish, despite his cat like appearance. His body is skinny, and his brown fur is downy and soft. His tail is also devil like. Something told me it fit his personality.

The one to Hunter's left speaks up, "She might not be here for any of us. Maybe she's here to investigate the entire state of Rhodes Island up and disappearing. She looks government."