Chapter 2: (part 3)

(Oops, meant to post this with the rest of Saturday's stories! Sorry! )

(More lame-ness ensues. Oh, well. I'll edit eventually, but for now, enjoy? I guess?)

Well, Simmons has met Fitz and Ward, but is she someone who can save one of the beasts? Will FitzSimmons happen? (Well, duh, it's me, but for drama's sake, it's in question.) Will they break the curse in time or are they doomed to be beasts forever?

I raise my eyebrows. "So you're a bunch of territorial beasts?" Fitz winces at the word 'beast', and I chide myself for using it carelessly. "Except you. You know, you look really cute like this."

He reels back. His voice lowers and it sounds almost like a rough bark, "Uh, I have to get ready. I'll see you when it's time to go."

He sinks to all fours, and bounds from the room. I watch as he leaves. Shocked. A voice rumbles from behind me. A familiar one. "How can someone of your intelligence not see the obvious? Or maybe it's because your brain is in the way."

I jump, startled. The voice was Ward's. Again. I whirl around. "What are you doing here! This is Fitz's house!"

He stares at me mournfully. "I can go anywhere I like. I'm the guard. I use secret passageways and patrol the grounds."

I furrow my brow. "Why would you care about Coulson and Fitz? Why would you guard them?"

He huffs, and stares into my eyes, "I deserve to serve them and worse. They would not do worse to me, not after Price. Instead, I am their protector." His words give me questions. What was Price. Or who? He continues. "I came here to talk to you. My job is to protect the people here." He grimaces, "Even Lincoln. Maybe I have to protect Fitz's feelings from you."

"What?" I ask, irritated.

"Fitz is in love with you." Ward says, like I'm a fool for not knowing.

I feel like a fool. Ward's words wash over me, changing my entire world. Fitz was in love with me. But did I love him?

I hear a noise behind me. Fitz stares at Ward and me, "Simmons?"