Accidents

Her wild red hair blew around her face from the window that was wide open, embracing the cool August breeze. She gave me her best blushing smile from where she sat on the counter. I couldn’t help but grin back at her as I was cutting the rough thorns off of a pink rose she had plucked from the neighbor’s garden earlier this morning.

Toddlers were a lot of work, the one thing I knew was most true, and I was constantly trying to keep her out of everything. Don’t eat that. Don’t hit the dog. Put that down. Come here. Then she would give me that innocent smile and my heart would melt and I would be helpless to her whim. How could anyone be mad at her?

I was lost in the daydream of her and I didn’t notice her reach for the windowsill before it was too late. I heard the thump of my glass as it fell into the sink, and I felt the rose slip through my fingers into the floor. She jumped at the sound and starting crying.

I flew to the sink and her side and quickly snatched the glass from the sink. I inspected it quickly before holding out my arms to her. She cautiously crawled into them and I paced around the kitchen a few times before her tears finally stopped.

“I’m sorry mommy.” She said in a quiet voice. I held her close and said to her. “It’s okay. It was only a chip in the glass. Accidents happen.”